"High Desert Community" Top 5 Page for this destination Barstow by spartan
Barstow Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 195 photos
A railway town since its founding, Barstow is now a city of 21,000 people. In 1888, the Santa Fe Railroad arrived in town and a splendid station was built in the middle of the Mojave Desert. The town was named after the president of the Santa Fe, William Barstow Strong, and it soon became a service center for the gold and silver mines that surrounded the community.
Before all this feverish activity in the late 1800s, the Mojave Desert had been occupied by Indian tribes who (2,000 years ago) lived beside the immense lakes that covered most of the Mojave. Today, the landscape is bone dry, and Barstow is a highway town, at the junction of Interstate Highways 15 and 40, on the routes between Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Flagstaff. The railway station has been converted into a restaurant and shops.
As soon as we were seated, the waitress brought over a basket of homemade tortilla chips, salsa and hot sauce. For... more travel advice
Set in a ranch type setting, this restaurant for being out in the middle of the desert serves a pretty good steak with... more travel advice
spartan's Related Pages
Barstow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barstow~Harvey House, Route 66 & Trains"
- "Uncommon Barstow"
- "Barstow, California"
- "Barstool, CA"
- "High Desert Community"
- "The Heat is High, Life is COOL!"
- "Best thing about Barstow........leaving"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barstow
- Hotels in Barstow
- Transportation in Barstow
- Nightlife in Barstow
- Restaurants in Barstow
- Shopping in Barstow
- Warnings and Dangers in Barstow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barstow
- 14 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Barstow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barstow
Photos in BarstowSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- San Diego Intro, 68 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 35 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Vallarta Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Columbus Intro, 45 reviews, 22 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oceanside Intro, 23 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mexico Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cancún Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues