"Banff: An unusual name, for an unusual place..." Banff National Park by kymbanm
Banff National Park Travel Guide: 791 reviews and 1,541 photos
There are several theories as to the origin of the name Banff. The one I find most resonable can be traced back to an employee of the Canadian Pacific Railroad (CPR). This man was responsible for naming stations across the route. In 1883, he named the station in this region the Banff Station. Now, if you look at some of the station names during this timeperiod, you will notice a pattern .... Scottish Place names. Since the CPR Land commissioner John MacTavish was originally FROM Scotland ........ it seems that any stations being placed in areas without a current name, were provided with Scottish place names. Since the railroads were the lifeblood of these regions, as the towns grew, they frequently took on the name of their train stations. Just take a look at a map of Canada, and you'll see what I'm talking about!
As for this pic ...... Peyto was highly recommended as a 'must see' site on this drive. In addition to the view and the color .... I think the end of the lake looks a bit like a Canadian maple leaf ..... do you?
Though I tried to go to the sites most well known ... I also wandered off the beaten track a bit .... OK, so Moraine Lake may not exactly be a true orphan location in the park .. it is one that many individuals may choose to skip if time is short. I, luckily, did not make the same mistake :)
I ended up with less than a day to explore Banff, so I didn't see all that there is to see .. actually all of the parks in the region are so large and spectacular, I think you could live there forever and still not see everything there is to see .... really ....
But of course dahlinks .. even I had to go to at least ONE of the most famous sites in Banff .. and here's my proof that I actually made it to Lake Louise :) And then I headed back to the crossing and out of the park ...... airports seem so much colder after spending the day in surroundings such as this ....
So much of what I saw in the parks are sights that I don't even know the names of!! I took almost every turn out there... more travel advice
Though the weather was overcast and drizzly, there were still people EVERYWHERE!! This was actually a problem for my... more travel advice
kymbanm's Related Pages
Banff National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA'S FIRST NATIONAL PARK"
- "under re construction please come back"
- "The Canadian Rockies"
- "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
- "Not Really Bashing Banff But...."
- "Banff National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banff National Park
- Hotels in Banff National Park
- Transportation in Banff National Park
- Nightlife in Banff National Park
- Restaurants in Banff National Park
- Shopping in Banff National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Banff National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banff National Park
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Banff National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banff National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: If you are in Houston ......"
- Commented on one of madamx's Banff National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Take your time, and take the turn outs ....... about Icefields Parkway in Banff National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take your time, and take the turn outs ......."
- updated a Banff National Park Travel Page "Banff: An unusual name, for an unusual place..."
Photos in Banff National ParkSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 26 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toronto Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 21 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Point Arena Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Questa Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Grand Canyon Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (72)
Latest Banff National Park hotel reviews
- Patricia Lake Bungalows
- 611 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- The Glacier View Inn
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Bow Valley Motel
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Brewster's Kananaskis Guest Ranch
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Mt. Engadine Lodge
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Banff Springs Hotel
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013