"Entering Entrance ... for a moment" Entrance by kymbanm
Entrance Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
ENTRANCE station, named because it was the last station prior to "entering" the Rockies, was built in 1914 by the Canadian Northern Railway during construction of their transcontinental line. A community grew at this location, with a store, post office, restaurant and forestry office. The station building has been recently restored and is located near its original site along the old railway grade at the spot now known as Old Entrance.
During the years that the railway operated through this tiny frontier community, it was the gateway to the vast, largely uninhabited country to the north; the Grande Cache, Smoky River and Willmore Wilderness areas. Local big game guides and outfitters were renowned and the general store was the trade centre for fur trappers throughout the vast wilderness region.
The town is now gone, but not really. The old properties have been renovated into B&Bs, and other busunesses that thrive on the tourist trade that visit the beautiful surroundings.
It is kina funny to drive by a sign that simply says "Entrance" ...... in the middle of no where ... so I entered, and exited to continue my drive :)
kymbanm's Related Pages
Entrance Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Entrance
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Entrance?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Entrance
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 26 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toronto Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 21 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Point Arena Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Questa Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Grand Canyon Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues