"A great homebase for exploration!" Hinton by kymbanm

Hinton Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 42 photos

Hinton - a surprising jewel

I chose Hinton from a map as a place to stop for the night. It looked like it was near a few locations I thought I might like to explore, and is only 1 hour from Jasper National Park. I was not disappointed in the least! As a matter of fact, I stayed an extra night in order to take time to explore the region a bit more!

For exploration into the Willmore Wilderness .....

Though not yet in the VT database, Grande Cache was my goal for my day of exploring the region. I wanted to go to one of the staging areas for the Willmore Wilderness area. I was quite excited to be this close to someplace I'd only read about, and never thought I'd have a chance to see for myself ....

Leaving Hinton on Hwy 16, I took Hwy40 north into Wm Switzer park and wandered about.To check out what I found, just check into my 'off the beaten path' tips :)

An exceptional resource!

As I traveled through the Alberta Province, I was pleased and delighted with the help I received at the various visitor centers I took the time to wander into.

This particular center went above and beyond! They not only helped me plan an itinerary for my day of local exploration up into the Willmore, but the next day they helped me plan a detailed itinerary into Jasper and Banff ... including helping me decide which features to pass on, and which ones to explore more fully. Getting this information from locals was a Godsend! They helped me with my timing, and hand drew maps for me to find locations not so well visited by typical travelers .... I can't even begin to express my appreciation and gratitude at their help. Without these folks, my visit to Jasper and Banff would not have been so jam packed and amazing :)

• Last visit to Hinton: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 2, 2005

• bobsreturn2004's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2007 at 3:55 PM

intresting,i am considering a day trip to Hinton.

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2006 at 5:42 PM

Ms. Kymba, you would have loved to take the short trip south from Hinton to Cadomin, Luscar and Mountain Park. DO make a point of visiting it next time you're here!

• Little_Lou_Lou's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 7:52 PM

I can't believe I watched the whole crab video! Impartial third party says your bro is a better swinger than she is ;)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2005 at 1:06 PM

Oh well - now I know what fascinated you on this place :-)) It looks just incredible beautiful !! So good to wander off the path - and with the helpful people and the hand drawn maps - just heaven !! I love that little ranger hut :-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 3:10 AM

It always pays to wander, even for just a cheaper room or a Tim Horton's. ;) Great off the beaten path page, Kymba.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2005 at 1:02 PM

Bit surprised the visitor centre could only give you a hand drawn map! Still nice of them to do it! Nice page with beautiful scenery, but mind the bears...

kymbanm

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Badges & Stats in Hinton