"Anachronistic Toronto" Toronto by kymbanm
Toronto Travel Guide: 4,316 reviews and 8,939 photos
The decision to visit Toronto had been in the back of my mind for a while, it took the VT meet, and a pending reunion with an old friend to make me take the time and make the budget work :) So I literally RAN from my speaking engagement in Arlington, to DCA, to my gate of I was off to TO!
My arrival in Toronto was equally rushed, as I was already late for the Saturday night meet - I got out of the car at the restaurant and was warmly greeted by my VT buddies as I entered with my luggage strapped on my back :)
Over the next day or so, I wandered town with various VTers and can't imagine thinking of NOT coming here. The people of Toronto were friendly, gracious, and much more polite than I used to in large urban American cities. I didn't take the time to do the usual touristy things ... but loved my wandering of the streets and visiting with the people of this wonderful city.
One of the things that struck me as I wandered Toronto was the combination of typical urban buildings ...... and the fairly frequent little gem of an older building just being itself .....
Originally founded in the upper Candadian frontier in 1793 by British officials, this city was then known as the City of York. In 1834, it became the City of Toronto - one of the largest urban centers in North America. By 2001, there were 152 diferent languages and dialects spoken by residents of this great city. Over half of Toronto's 2.5million inhabitants were born in another country and are immigrants. This mixture of old and new brings a wonderful feeling into the city.
Gardens, and little bits of heritage were found at every turn. I loved the mix of life in this city :) Between bits of British heritage, Chinatown, Kensington Market and all the other neighborhoods ....... everytime you turn your head you see something new and funky that brings a smile to your face :)
You can get everything you want here, really! They have 24 hour drug stores, a ton of malls, and quite a few shoe... more travel advice
St Lawrence Flea Market was just down the block from our final VT meal .... so a few of us wandered down there to see... more travel advice
kymbanm's Related Pages
Toronto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Toronto - "Yours to Discover""
- "Close To Home"
- "Andre Rieu's Magic Hits Toronto"
- "TORONTO Canada"
- "Paul2001's Big T.O. Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toronto
- Hotels in Toronto
- Transportation in Toronto
- Nightlife in Toronto
- Restaurants in Toronto
- Shopping in Toronto
- Warnings and Dangers in Toronto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Toronto
- 14 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Toronto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toronto
Photos in TorontoSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 26 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toronto Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 21 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Point Arena Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Questa Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Grand Canyon Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues