"Anachronistic Toronto" Toronto by kymbanm

Toronto Travel Guide: 4,314 reviews and 8,927 photos

The decision to visit Toronto had been in the back of my mind for a while, it took the VT meet, and a pending reunion with an old friend to make me take the time and make the budget work :) So I literally RAN from my speaking engagement in Arlington, to DCA, to my gate of I was off to TO!

My arrival in Toronto was equally rushed, as I was already late for the Saturday night meet - I got out of the car at the restaurant and was warmly greeted by my VT buddies as I entered with my luggage strapped on my back :)

Over the next day or so, I wandered town with various VTers and can't imagine thinking of NOT coming here. The people of Toronto were friendly, gracious, and much more polite than I used to in large urban American cities. I didn't take the time to do the usual touristy things ... but loved my wandering of the streets and visiting with the people of this wonderful city.

Impressions and Factoids ...

One of the things that struck me as I wandered Toronto was the combination of typical urban buildings ...... and the fairly frequent little gem of an older building just being itself .....

Originally founded in the upper Candadian frontier in 1793 by British officials, this city was then known as the City of York. In 1834, it became the City of Toronto - one of the largest urban centers in North America. By 2001, there were 152 diferent languages and dialects spoken by residents of this great city. Over half of Toronto's 2.5million inhabitants were born in another country and are immigrants. This mixture of old and new brings a wonderful feeling into the city.

Gardens, and little bits of heritage were found at every turn. I loved the mix of life in this city :) Between bits of British heritage, Chinatown, Kensington Market and all the other neighborhoods ....... everytime you turn your head you see something new and funky that brings a smile to your face :)

• Last visit to Toronto: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 21, 2005

• Mar 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM

That sounds kind of like fun. :) Have you found any good wedding locations? New Mexico has so many nice places. I'm so happy for you you know! I want to do a happy dance!!!!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Great page of Toronto. Heard that the Chinese restaurants there are some of the best in the world. Cheers, SL

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Ha ha, it's true, it's new, last time I went through O'Hare, the customs guy said I traveled way too much for a leisure traveler ;-) Going out tomorrow for the 1st of many birthday meals!

• raytor's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 3:28 PM

No telling

• DPando's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2007 at 7:20 AM

nice tips and great shots !! thanks !!

• funnybeee's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 9:07 AM

Thank you, Kym :) will start packing this evening...

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2006 at 11:06 PM

How come I never saw a black squirrel when I was in Toronto? I'll have to go back.

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2006 at 7:52 AM

that's great! i'm glad you're feeling better but get more rest, k? gotta run out for coffee (gotta stock up this boy..) ((HUGS))!!!!!

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2006 at 2:58 PM

Not to mention, staying out of the sun for a good long time. Which is what I intend to do!

• benazer's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2006 at 3:20 AM

After checking your pics here,I decided you will fit nicely in my suitcase,get ready for Turkey next month,dont bring any luggage.

kymbanm

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Badges & Stats in Toronto

Have you been to Toronto?

Latest Activity in Toronto