"A taste of gambling history ..." Top 5 Page for this destination Laughlin by kymbanm
Laughlin Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 203 photos
I've known Joyce since elementary school. My family had recently moved back to the states, and I was wanderng about amusing myself until I made friends. I rode my bike by her house regularly, and when I saw her outside, I would ride back and forth. After a few times, I stopped and talked w/ her. I found out we were in the same grade, and that we had a lot in common. She says she knew I was okay to be her friend when I wasn't afraid to ask her to repeat something she said .... she was used to folks nodding and pretending they understood everything, then wandering off.
We spent our summers (between family road trips) playing the girlfriends of various TV characters .... Starsky and Hutch, CHiPs, Hardy Boys, Battlestar Galactica were favorites. During the school year we'd get into trouble for sitting together and talking in class ......... these are the things that build lifelong friendships :)
We hadn't seen each other in a very long time ... I say about 10 years, she says more like 8 years. Regardless, we knew a girls-weekend was mandatory. She and I talked online, and decided to chose someplace almost halfway between her home in San Diego, and my home in Albuquerque. So she told me to come to Laughlin.
Lauglin is a reminder of 'old Las Vegas' ... it's cheaper, more outdoorsy, and a different kind of fun than Vegas. Were Vegas is more glitz, Laughlin is more casual and has lots of 'river rat' activities.
Expect to get some info on all of the hotels in Laughlin from my buddy's POV - she's been coming here since the 70's and gave me all sorts of info to share ... being 'disabled', she allowed me to travel with a different perspective on what makes a place good or bad to tour.
I placed her impressions of the various hotels and casinos under 'General Tips' since I hadn't stayed in them myself.
I KNEW Laughlin was on the banks of the Colorado River but ...... I never realized just how pretty that river is!
I was amazed at the blue, comfortable temperature, and life of the river ...... across the river from Laughlin, NV is Bullhead City, Az - they are so close, yet different ....
- Pros:Cheap, fun, sleepy gambling town, lots of day trips available to explore the area
- Cons:Hot, mediocre nightlife, need a car for day trips ...
- In a nutshell:Worth the visit, relaxing yet fun!
Though it describes itself as a steakhouse, I foundthe menu a little more eclectic than the usual meat and potato fair... more travel advice
The Colorado Belle is the most outstanding looking casino in Laughlin - it is shaped like a paddle boat afterall... more travel advice
kymbanm's Related Pages
Laughlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A taste of gambling history ..."
- "Laughlin, Nevada"
- "Jumping Around Laughlin!"
- "Laughlin, NV"
- "Las Vegas on a Zimmerframe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laughlin
- Hotels in Laughlin
- Transportation in Laughlin
- Nightlife in Laughlin
- Restaurants in Laughlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Laughlin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Laughlin
- 22 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Laughlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laughlin
Photos in LaughlinSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 26 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toronto Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 21 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Point Arena Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Questa Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Grand Canyon Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues