"History, nature and culture ...." Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument by kymbanm

This mini road trip has been on my to-do list for a few months ... actually, despite living nearby, I only heard about these ruins a few months ago!

Living in New Mexico means being surrounded by cultural history of a different kind than I found when in Europe. Our historical heritage is a blend of the native cultures that were present when the first Europeans came, and the influence these Europeans had upon the indigenous peoples.

In some part of the state, this influence can be seen in the form of ruins ..... large churches built in the native architectural format, with Spanish Catholic style and largess. These churches are usually found in or near the original spiritual Kivas of the pueblo. This is seen clearly here at the 3 sites that make up the Salinas Pueblo Missions.

Road trip!

From Albuquerque, it is at least an hour and a half to the closest of the ruins in this collection. Therefore, roadtrip mentality abounds as you travel the back roads to reach the planned destination.

Roadtrips to me means friendly chatter, jokes, stupid comments about passing scenery, as well as awe of the same. In this case, 3 local VTers and 2 out of town VTers joined up for this little journey into the history of New Mexico.

Was this a VT meet?

We managed to make it to 2 of the 3 ruins of this park during our half day excursion.... we even beat the storm that was brewing on the horizon.

The 5 of us had varying degrees of interest in this trip into history .....

2 intersted in the history
1 interested in finding snakes
1 interested in taking pics of the people
1 interested in taking pics of the scenery
3 interested in spending time w/ friends
4 interested in spending time w/ family
4 interested in spending time w/ new friends

hmmmm, can you figure out who is who?

• Last visit to Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 28, 2005

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2006 at 5:23 PM

great advice concerning snakes and staying on the path, now if someone would just tell the snakes to stay off them we would have it made. (LOL)

• Sep 5, 2006 at 10:48 AM

Something at Quarai was shrieking like a demon of hell at my friend and I and zipping around at high speed, and Ive never been so frightened in my life. If you ask the locals they'll tell you not to go at night too.

• la_beba's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 3:01 PM

No freaking way girlie!!! great minds think alike! see? ;o) that's cool = the exact same book! wow!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2005 at 1:40 AM

I like the thoughtful and informative tips on this new page. Brings back memories of my summers in New Mexico long ago -- for instance the first aid procedures for snake bite, which we all had to learn but fortunately never had to use.

kymbanm

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Badges & Stats in Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument

Have you been to Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument?