"A place to play along the Turquoise Trail" Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid by kymbanm
Madrid Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 66 photos
The Turquoise Trail is the mountain road from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. I began my drive up Hwy 14 by having breakfast (okay, more like lunch) in Cedar Crest. A few miles further North is Madrid.
Madrid isn't what you'd expect. For one thing, you don't pronounce it like that place in Spain, they place the accent on the last syllable. Here in rural New Mexico, OUR Madrid, is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable. Maaa-drid :)
This is a sleepy little town that was created from the nearby mines .... when the mines left, the town floundered. It resurected itself over time by becoming a sleepy little artist community. Well only sleepy during the off season :)
There is art everywhere in this town .. in galleries, along the street, and even on some of the vehicles ;)
This particular piece spoke to me ... a little memorial to all victims of violence, located in a small field along the highway ....
For other viewpoints, and interesting tidbits about Madrid, check out some other member pages!
Albuq_Ray has great history of Madrid's far and more recent past.
Let me go through the 6 other pages to pick my favorites before I post their links here ... okay?
- Pros:Lots of art, music and friendly folks.
- Cons:Out of the way ....
- In a nutshell:Worth taking the slow road to Santa Fe :)
You will need to drive up to Madrid, along Hwy 14 which is also known as the Turquoise Trail. Though not much of a road... more travel advice
What can I say? Each gallery has a different feel and look. There are clothing galleries, photographic exhibits, oils,... more travel advice
kymbanm's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Artist Colony on the Turquoise Trail"
- "On the Turquoise Trail"
- "A place to play along the Turquoise Trail"
- "Along the Turquoise Trail"
- "Madrid and Cerillos, NM"
- "Madrid, Careful How you Say It...."
- "MADRID, NEW MEXICO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: If you are in Houston ......"
- updated a Madrid Travel Page "A place to play along the Turquoise Trail"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A place to play along the Turquoise Trail"
- Commented on one of AlbuqRay's Madrid travel pages
- Wrote a Review 2 wheels or 4 wheels .... this IS a road trip :) in Madrid Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 26 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toronto Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 21 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Point Arena Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Questa Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Grand Canyon Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues