"A place to play along the Turquoise Trail" Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid by kymbanm

Madrid Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 66 photos

Slow down and enjoy the day ....

The Turquoise Trail is the mountain road from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. I began my drive up Hwy 14 by having breakfast (okay, more like lunch) in Cedar Crest. A few miles further North is Madrid.

Madrid isn't what you'd expect. For one thing, you don't pronounce it like that place in Spain, they place the accent on the last syllable. Here in rural New Mexico, OUR Madrid, is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable. Maaa-drid :)

This is a sleepy little town that was created from the nearby mines .... when the mines left, the town floundered. It resurected itself over time by becoming a sleepy little artist community. Well only sleepy during the off season :)

Enjoy the art .....

There is art everywhere in this town .. in galleries, along the street, and even on some of the vehicles ;)

This particular piece spoke to me ... a little memorial to all victims of violence, located in a small field along the highway ....

For other viewpoints, and interesting tidbits about Madrid, check out some other member pages!

Albuq_Ray has great history of Madrid's far and more recent past.

Let me go through the 6 other pages to pick my favorites before I post their links here ... okay?

• Pros:Lots of art, music and friendly folks.
  • Cons:Out of the way ....
  • In a nutshell:Worth taking the slow road to Santa Fe :)
  • Last visit to Madrid: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2006

• Mique's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 8:27 PM

so apart from the Pad Thai test i have to come here and 'compare' Madrids! wow, this starts to become more and more serious... ;-)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Madrid and the Turquoise Trail....mmmm. Loved it. Oh, those wonderful skies!!!

• jojocan's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 10:27 PM

bubba? chester?

• Little_Lou_Lou's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 7:59 PM

I like jazz, too, but I actually know what I'm doing with swing! I've tried to teach hubby a couple of times, but he always gets giggly...MEN!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2006 at 9:15 AM

just love little towns like this, hope is stays unchanged. As you can tell, I've been wandering thru NM with you-great pages and interesting places. Someday. N>-!

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2005 at 12:26 PM

I see we enjoy many of the same things in Madrid. I agree that walking is the best way to experience this charming place.

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2005 at 3:01 PM

very nice! i read your email a couple of times then realized he didn't drive a tomato truck for a living...

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2005 at 12:21 PM

Indeed, see what you mean - this place is a little something !! So, it'll come on my list of places when I head west ine day :-)

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2005 at 12:55 AM

I didn't know Madrid was pronounced that way. Thanks for the tip. By the way: I also liked Madrid more than Sata Fe, though the center is very charming. The visit of Madrid's old coal mine will remain one of the highlights in our Southwest trip!

kymbanm

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Badges & Stats in Madrid