"Passing through at a Gallup" Gallup by kymbanm

Gallup Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 99 photos

Most folks can say they've passed BY Gallup ..... and that is my usual route. Zipping by on I-40 on my way somewhere else.

I have come here before .. to visit friends and their family. Locally, Gallup is the but of many jokes .. being so close to the reservation ... and the most urban town in the area .... there are problems w/ excessive alcohol consumption for many individuals who come into Gallup from the coutryside on paydays. The problem is so severe that on one visit many years ago I had to walk OVER the intoxicated folks passed out on the sidewalk to get from the car to the house we were staying at. Gallup and various public health agencies have been working hard to heal this troubled town ... and during this short stay I can report I already see a difference.

You're not going to get much more info on Gallup from me this time ..... I just stopped in for a bed and a couple of meals. As we wandered about town in the car on our way out of said town ... I saw a kitchsy town, many 'trading post' and pawnshop businesses, and was impressed w/ the cleanliness.

So for today, enjoy my single Gallup tip ... on the infamous El Rancho Hotel ;)

and why I decided to slow down .....

I spent the day on a wonderful drive and in exploration of Hwy 53 ..... I wandered the paths of El Morro and shopping in Zuni .. after such a day, driving the few hours home was just too much. So, Gallup ended up on my itinerary :)

• Last visit to Gallup: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2006

• jojocan's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2006 at 9:45 PM

your lead foot would have saved you around here... though i don't know what saved you as you were walking around over people in gallup....

kymbanm

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Badges & Stats in Gallup