"Wandering the Bosque" Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge by kymbanm

Bosque del Apache is a wonderful place to spend a day, or half day while wandering the state of New Mexico. It's a very popular place in the fall during Festival of the Cranes - with critters AND people. This refuge is the winter resting place for more birds that I even knew existed ... an amazing spectacle to see no land or water during that time ... you only see birds! Sandhill cranes congregate here and are always a delight to view. As part of the Rio Grande watershed, this park is one of 3 in the region to protect migratory birds, and reserve the watershed leading to the Gulf of Mexico.

I have to say visiting during the 'off' season is so different that visiting during peak times ... we were the only humans in the park this day, and it was wonderful!!!

A day wandering here can be in your car and by foot along trails... a rare wetland habitat in this part of the country is filled with greenery and critters galore and, as you can see, the amazing New Mexico sky.

I only know the names of a few critters ... I mostly enjoy looking and going 'OOOHHHH' and 'AAAAHHHHH'. But I know the name of this one! This pheasant mommy had 3 chicks hiding in the weeds as we approached ... a few feet away a roadrunner ran along the shoulder ... and around the bend scattered cranes ... above our heads hawks and the occasional vulture ... Ravens, Canadian Geese, Deer and more crossed our paths this day.

• Last visit to Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 30, 2007

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Nice page Kymba. I will be visiting shortly - I hope to see a roadrunner! Have you visited Bitter Lake NWR?

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Nice to be out and about with the bird life but not the mozzies!!

kymbanm

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Badges & Stats in Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge

Have you been to Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge?

Latest Activity in Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge