"Wandering the Bosque" Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge by kymbanm
Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 12 photos
Bosque del Apache is a wonderful place to spend a day, or half day while wandering the state of New Mexico. It's a very popular place in the fall during Festival of the Cranes - with critters AND people. This refuge is the winter resting place for more birds that I even knew existed ... an amazing spectacle to see no land or water during that time ... you only see birds! Sandhill cranes congregate here and are always a delight to view. As part of the Rio Grande watershed, this park is one of 3 in the region to protect migratory birds, and reserve the watershed leading to the Gulf of Mexico.
I have to say visiting during the 'off' season is so different that visiting during peak times ... we were the only humans in the park this day, and it was wonderful!!!
A day wandering here can be in your car and by foot along trails... a rare wetland habitat in this part of the country is filled with greenery and critters galore and, as you can see, the amazing New Mexico sky.
I only know the names of a few critters ... I mostly enjoy looking and going 'OOOHHHH' and 'AAAAHHHHH'. But I know the name of this one! This pheasant mommy had 3 chicks hiding in the weeds as we approached ... a few feet away a roadrunner ran along the shoulder ... and around the bend scattered cranes ... above our heads hawks and the occasional vulture ... Ravens, Canadian Geese, Deer and more crossed our paths this day.
I live in a drier part of the state .... and with all this water I found the mosquitoes horrific! They ate me alive!... more travel advice
kymbanm's Related Pages
Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering the Bosque"
- Create a Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge Travel Page
- Things to Do in Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge
- Warnings and Dangers in Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge
Photos in Bosque del Apache National Wildlife RefugeSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 26 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toronto Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 21 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Point Arena Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Questa Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Grand Canyon Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues