"DC for me ....." Washington D.C. by kymbanm

Washington D.C. Travel Guide: 5,653 reviews and 15,102 photos

This is the third time I've been to DC. The first time I was a wee little one and have no memory of it at all :) The second time was almost 15 years ago during a road trip to attend a friend's graduation. I took old route 66 partway and just enjoyed exploring this country. On that visit, I had 5 days, and focused on museums .... 2 museums a day for 5 days! I still didn't get to see it all then either! This time I only had 2 days, and decided to focus on the monuments, and little places that meant something to me. I enjoyed wandering the streets, taking the metro, and eating at the hotdog stands during my time in the city.

Factoids:

The District of Columbia, and the City of Washington are the very same place ... this region is not a state so does not have congressional or senatorial representation. Filled with politicians from around the world, their only representation is through their elected Mayor. The inhabitants of DC were provided the priviliedge of voting for their own government in 1974.

Their license plates are emblazened with the motto: "Taxation Without Representation" ...... the irony of their motto, and the historical rationale for the beginnings of the United States is intentional.

DC has over 500,000 residents in addition to those who commute daily for work. About 60% of the local population is African American, 31% white ...... these ratios reverse if you look at the commuters who work long hours in DC.

Originally designed by a Frenchman who left without providing his original plans, the city managed to follow the original plans quite well due to the amazing memories of a military man and a free-man who together worked to recreate the plans while actually taking into account existing boundaries of pre-existing land grants. Large green parklands and stately buildings are the hallmark of this district.

BTW- Despite being famous for Cherry Trees, the official tree of this city is the Scarlet Oak.

The Great Zanzooni!

The bestest part meeting VTer Zanzooni in the flesh! Despite my inadequate cellular signal in Arlington, we still managed to hook and up she hosted my conference roommate and I to a mini night tour of the Capitol area! We ate, drank, laughed, and laughed somemore ....... it was a wonderful time, and I can't thank her enough for her kindness :)

• Last visit to Washington D.C.: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 21, 2006

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Happy Holidays and I hope the new year brings forth happiness, health and prosperity.~

• Mar 28, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Excellent page with a lot of information

• Aug 25, 2007 at 8:05 AM

I can't make the VT mail work. :( I just went jogging and it's like 100 degrees out. Duh.

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2007 at 5:59 PM

they say anything over a mouthful is wasted...bah! 2 scoops are always better.

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2007 at 11:25 AM

I tried that, but something happened...will try again, because a Fellini/Santa's Little Helper really IS the perfect accessory!

• hotsauce28's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 9:51 PM

i've always pictured wenches as big breasted girlfriends of pirates. =) I WOULD LOVE TO BE A WENCH!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 5:02 PM

And you'll still be able to fit into your clothes! Me? I should probably be subsisting on salads with my upcoming visit to the land of cheese and chocolate ;-)

• raytor's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 2:34 AM

You are probably right.

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 12:26 PM

The funniest part Steve doesn't call the cow Peppercorn. He calls her Hotsauce, so he called me last night to say "Honey - we have a problem. Hotsauce is in heat." I almost DIED - but I realized a beat later what he was saying... "Peppercorn" was in heat.

• FleurFox's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2007 at 11:55 PM

I hope so! As long as I go quick, I don't mind! lol.

kymbanm

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.

Have you been to Washington D.C.?

Latest Activity in Washington D.C.