"DC for me ....." Washington D.C. by kymbanm
Washington D.C. Travel Guide: 5,653 reviews and 15,102 photos
This is the third time I've been to DC. The first time I was a wee little one and have no memory of it at all :) The second time was almost 15 years ago during a road trip to attend a friend's graduation. I took old route 66 partway and just enjoyed exploring this country. On that visit, I had 5 days, and focused on museums .... 2 museums a day for 5 days! I still didn't get to see it all then either! This time I only had 2 days, and decided to focus on the monuments, and little places that meant something to me. I enjoyed wandering the streets, taking the metro, and eating at the hotdog stands during my time in the city.
The District of Columbia, and the City of Washington are the very same place ... this region is not a state so does not have congressional or senatorial representation. Filled with politicians from around the world, their only representation is through their elected Mayor. The inhabitants of DC were provided the priviliedge of voting for their own government in 1974.
Their license plates are emblazened with the motto: "Taxation Without Representation" ...... the irony of their motto, and the historical rationale for the beginnings of the United States is intentional.
DC has over 500,000 residents in addition to those who commute daily for work. About 60% of the local population is African American, 31% white ...... these ratios reverse if you look at the commuters who work long hours in DC.
Originally designed by a Frenchman who left without providing his original plans, the city managed to follow the original plans quite well due to the amazing memories of a military man and a free-man who together worked to recreate the plans while actually taking into account existing boundaries of pre-existing land grants. Large green parklands and stately buildings are the hallmark of this district.
BTW- Despite being famous for Cherry Trees, the official tree of this city is the Scarlet Oak.
The bestest part meeting VTer Zanzooni in the flesh! Despite my inadequate cellular signal in Arlington, we still managed to hook and up she hosted my conference roommate and I to a mini night tour of the Capitol area! We ate, drank, laughed, and laughed somemore ....... it was a wonderful time, and I can't thank her enough for her kindness :)
As you wander about, you'll see lots of signs saying 'don't do this' or 'don't do that', or 'do this now' . As I have... more travel advice
Another guilty pleasure of mine while traveling to larger cities is to munch out at the hot dog vendors along the... more travel advice
kymbanm's Related Pages
Washington D.C. Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neither American nor European City :-)"
- "Washington DC"
- "Washington D.C."
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Washington D.C."
- "Welcome to Washington DC our Nations Capital"
- "My Hometown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washington D.C.
- Hotels in Washington D.C.
- Transportation in Washington D.C.
- Nightlife in Washington D.C.
- Restaurants in Washington D.C.
- Shopping in Washington D.C.
- Warnings and Dangers in Washington D.C.
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.
- 32 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Washington D.C.?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington D.C.
Photos in Washington D.C.See All Photos (128)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 26 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toronto Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 21 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Point Arena Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Questa Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Grand Canyon Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues