Milos Island Shopping Tips by andreasfmpro Top 5 Page for this destination
Milos Island Shopping: 3 reviews and 5 photos
The sign for Anna's Shop in Plaka
In shopping for local handcrafts, there aren't very many such retail establishments, but most shops are located in Adamas and Plaka. In Triovasalos, few retail shops cater to tourists.
I would point out "Kalimera", "Marianna" and "Kellina" in Adamas and the "Milino", "Archondoula's" and "Anna's Shop" in Plaka as my favorites. Since most major villages are so close to one another, you could visit all such shops in one day.
Andreas' Advice: Purchase only what you can carry with you. Shopkeepers are generally eager to accommodate you but they are usually naive about the logistics (and cost) of shipping. You will find that to have them ship anything overseas is prohibitively expensive and impractical.
What to buy: Local arts and crafts. T-shirts, Polos and bumper stickers with the "Milos is for Lovers" logo. I've seen a lot of American visitors opt for the legendary, "retsina" copper decanters.
What to pay: Prices in Milos are decent, relatively speaking. Do not expect to find bargains, however, especially with the $US at an all-time low against the Euro.
Paying by credit card is slowly becoming acceptable in Milos, but the shopkeepers usually frown upon accepting plastic as it costs them up to 7% of the transaction. Offering cash and specifically requesting "no receipt" may be a bit risky on your part, but encourages the shopkeeper to offer you a small discount, if you know what I mean. ;)
In some shops there will be a seemingly interminable delay to process a credit card as the clerk fumbles with paper, stubborn cash registers and seeking help. :)
Address: Adamas, Plaka, Triovasalos
Directions: Most shops are in the main district of each village, and can't be missed.
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (71)
- See All Choosing a Hotel Room in Milos
- See All Sailboat Charter Cruises in Milos
- See All Milos - Pachena, Sarakiniko and Pollonia
- See All Riva Travel Agency, Adamas, Milos
- See All Milos and Milos island - One and the...
- See All Arkeuthos hiking trail
- See All Seafood prices - Higher than expected
- See All Tarantella: Lunch with a view
- See All Kids of Milos
- See All A Windsurfing Paradise in Milos
- Akri, one of the premier Milos nightlife...
- Survival tips
andreasfmpro's Related Pages
Milos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Milos is for lovers"
- "BETWEEN VOLCANOES AND APHRODITE"
- "Milos, a wonderful island of the Cyclades"
- "3 days in Milos"
- "Milos through my eyes"
- "Milos: Goddess of Cyclades"
- "Milos...Voulcanic emotions..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Milos Island
- Hotels in Milos Island
- Transportation in Milos Island
- Nightlife in Milos Island
- Restaurants in Milos Island
- Shopping in Milos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Milos Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Orgy Hotels
- Bishop Hotels
- West Liberty
- Hacienda Santa Clara Hotels
- Kampong Sedili Kechil Hotels
- Yuba City
- Gouvernorat de Bizerte
Badges & Stats in Milos Island
- 72 Reviews
- 287 Photos
- 40 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Milos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Milos Island
Photos in Milos IslandSee All Photos (287)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milos Island Intro, 72 reviews, 287 photos, 1 travelogue
- Milos Intro, 25 reviews, 60 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 10 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folegandros Island Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Greece Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Milos Island hotel reviews
- 3 Reviews & Opinions