"Greater Syracuse: My Hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Syracuse by donclark
Syracuse Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 354 photos
Syracuse is located in the center of Upstate New York and is sometimes called the Crossroads of the Northeast, since Interstate 90 and Interstate 81 intersect here. Syracuse is also in the center of the "Lakes Region of the Northeast". The 11 Finger Lakes, Oneida Lake, Lake Ontario, Onondaga Lake, Cross Lake, Cazenovia Lake are all within an hour from Greater Syracuse.
The City of Syracuse sits where the mountain foothills to the south meet the Great Lake Plains to the north. Therefore, there is a large variation in terrain around the Syracuse area. For example, the northern suburbs are very flat, the western suburbs are hilly, and the eastern suburbs are rolling hills.
Just an hour East is the Adirondak Mountains. To the West is Buffalo and Niagara Falls. An hour to the North are the "Thousand Islands" resort area and Ottawa is not far away either. The Syracuse region is also called the "Eastern Finger Lakes" and "Central New York".
Depending on how you measure the population of a region, there are anywhere from between 400,000 to 750,000 people living in Greater Syracuse. Very little population growth has occurred over the last 35 years here though. Hopefully, that will change soon.
- Pros:A Lot of Potential
- Cons:Lack of Population Growth recently
- In a nutshell:It's more than what you see from the Highway!
- See All Green Lakes State Park
- See All Parkview Hotel
- bring a map
- The Great New York State Fair
- See All Onondaga Lake Park Tram
donclark's Related Pages
Syracuse Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Greater Syracuse: My Hometown"
- "Syracuse, New York"
- "Syracuse, the "Hub" of Central New York"
- "A never-ending party"
- "Syracuse, NY.... normally passing thru...."
- "Snowy Syacuse"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Syracuse
- Hotels in Syracuse
- Transportation in Syracuse
- Nightlife in Syracuse
- Restaurants in Syracuse
- Shopping in Syracuse
- Warnings and Dangers in Syracuse
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Syracuse
- 158 Reviews
- 181 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Syracuse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Syracuse
Photos in SyracuseSee All Photos (181)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syracuse Intro, 158 reviews, 202 photos, 5 travelogues
- Clay 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Fayetteville 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Brewerton Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Skaneateles 1 review, 1 photo
No friends yet.