"Charleston, SC" Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston by MandaJ320

Charleston Travel Guide: 800 reviews and 1,760 photos

Home Sweet Home

I am proud to be a native of Charleston. The Lord could not have blessed me with a better place to call my home! The history, the people, the weather, the culture, the pride.... all are things I've grown to treasure and appreciate. Short of being a tour guide or history major, I'd like to consider myself somewhat of an expert of this amazing city.

A few Facts

There aren't many other places in the United States that can claim historical importance like Charleston. Founded in 1670, Charleston was one of the biggest ports in the colonial states. Plantations were prosperous and society was high. Charleston was a pivitol player in both the Revoluntionary and the Civil War (with the first shot of the Civil War actually taking place in the Charleston harbour.) The city has survived hurricanes (Hurricane Hugo was most recent), fires, earthquakes, wars, and she still stands as proud as she ever was. She is the holy city, with St. Michael's and St. Philip's towering over her..... she is the gem of the lowcountry.... she is the pride of the Palmetto State. Today, after three and a half centuries, people still come to see all she has to offer.

And the best part is....

Charleston is beautiful. Think Palmetto trees, oak trees, Spanish moss, white sandy beaches, salty air, salt marshes and tidal rivers that wrap around the city, old forts, beautiful parks, statues, musuems, azaleas and magnolias, refreshing thunderstorms, dolphins in the harbour, seashells, tall pines, brilliantly painted buildings, horse carriages, cobblestone streets.... and the list goes on and on. See for yourself why I'm so proud of my hometown. And maybe she'll become one of your favorite places to visit, too. :-)

• Pros:Beautiful, proud, historic, romantic, what else could you want?
  • Cons:I don't live here anymore!
  • In a nutshell:In my opinion, the greatest place in the USA.
  • Last visit to Charleston: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2006

• Sep 22, 2009 at 6:37 AM

Awesome! I always wondered what these were.

• Aug 4, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Um... I believe you mean alligators. Crocodiles are rarely seen north of the Everglades...

• Jun 1, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Oh gracious!They live in Palmetto trees. We call them "Water-Bugs. They will not stow away in your belongings. They would die faster if out of the region then the can of Raid you just bought at the Piggly Wiggly. So, relax and have a glass of Sweet Tea.

• Feb 20, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Amen on the grits! I grew up in New Jersey and you better believe my mother's family had it every day. My grandmother cooked it and all the trimmings starting at about 5am each and every moringing! ;-)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2007 at 5:07 AM

Your city is a beauty! Wish I could find the photos of my visit years back. BTW.... I heard your Mayor speak recently in Rhode Island. He's a corker! What a great treasure he is for you. Wow....in office over 30 years!!??

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2006 at 4:47 PM

great tips!

• terps94's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2006 at 6:06 PM

great pages!! I definitely need to make a trip in your neck of the woods and explore that area

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2005 at 5:26 PM

Your travel page included places I never heard of when we visited Charleston--nice description!

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2005 at 3:36 PM

Great beach info, we are going next week, and will take your expert beach advice...thanks!

• kilpatrick's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2005 at 12:55 PM

I think you mean undertow; and NO our beaches do not ALL have undertows. If they do, they are clearly posted with warning signs. Of course, Hurricane conditions can change these factors.

MandaJ320 Was Born Here!

MandaJ320

“Seek ye first the kingdom of God.....”

Badges & Stats in Charleston

Have you been to Charleston?

Latest Activity in Charleston