"Charleston, SC" Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston by MandaJ320
Charleston Travel Guide: 832 reviews and 1,860 photos
I am proud to be a native of Charleston. The Lord could not have blessed me with a better place to call my home! The history, the people, the weather, the culture, the pride.... all are things I've grown to treasure and appreciate. Short of being a tour guide or history major, I'd like to consider myself somewhat of an expert of this amazing city.
There aren't many other places in the United States that can claim historical importance like Charleston. Founded in 1670, Charleston was one of the biggest ports in the colonial states. Plantations were prosperous and society was high. Charleston was a pivitol player in both the Revoluntionary and the Civil War (with the first shot of the Civil War actually taking place in the Charleston harbour.) The city has survived hurricanes (Hurricane Hugo was most recent), fires, earthquakes, wars, and she still stands as proud as she ever was. She is the holy city, with St. Michael's and St. Philip's towering over her..... she is the gem of the lowcountry.... she is the pride of the Palmetto State. Today, after three and a half centuries, people still come to see all she has to offer.
Charleston is beautiful. Think Palmetto trees, oak trees, Spanish moss, white sandy beaches, salty air, salt marshes and tidal rivers that wrap around the city, old forts, beautiful parks, statues, musuems, azaleas and magnolias, refreshing thunderstorms, dolphins in the harbour, seashells, tall pines, brilliantly painted buildings, horse carriages, cobblestone streets.... and the list goes on and on. See for yourself why I'm so proud of my hometown. And maybe she'll become one of your favorite places to visit, too. :-)
- Pros:Beautiful, proud, historic, romantic, what else could you want?
- Cons:I don't live here anymore!
- In a nutshell:In my opinion, the greatest place in the USA.
A romantic must see! This place is awesome during the sunset. Just north of Charleston off of Hwy. 17 is Shem Creek.... more travel advice
I had a great stay here. The hotel is clean, the beds are nice, the staff is professional and friendly, and there is a... more travel advice
- See All If you want to dance..... and you're...
- See All Palmetto Bugs
- See All local seafood
- See All deep sea fishing
- See All Charleston area malls
MandaJ320's Related Pages
Charleston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charleston, SC"
- "Welcome to Charleston SC"
- "charleston, south carolina"
- "The Definitive Guide to Charleston, SC"
- "Queen of the South"
- "The City of Southern Charm, Charleston"
- "Lovely Charleston"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charleston
- Hotels in Charleston
- Transportation in Charleston
- Nightlife in Charleston
- Restaurants in Charleston
- Shopping in Charleston
- Warnings and Dangers in Charleston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charleston
- 50 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Charleston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charleston
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston Intro, 50 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 25 reviews, 12 photos
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Carolina Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hilton Head Island Intro, 16 reviews, 9 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Colorado Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Jersey Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Orlando Intro, 11 reviews, 6 photos
- North Carolina Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos