Hanoi Transportation Tips by muddybok
Hanoi Transportation: 188 reviews and 185 photos
Travel by train in Vietnam may sound like a good idea. It's slightly more expensive than buses and of course cheaper than air.
I arrive at Hanoi (from Hue) by overnight train. One set back is the cafe helper cannot speak English. Order food on the train is almost near to impossible since they do not have a menu (not even a Vietnamese menu). Food menu in English, you just forget about it.
Travel by air can be considered the fastest and of course costing the most as compared to train & buses.
If you can't stand the numb butt for travel by bus for 12 hours or more, travel by air is the best option.
I fly Malaysia Air Line (MAS) to Saigon & the moving up north by busses (Saigon-Hue) & train (Hue-Hanoi).
Open Tour Bus
Backpacking & travel from Saigon to Hanoi & vice versa is so convenient with Open Bus Tickets.
These buses are mostly operated (should i say monopolized) by some big cafes & travel companies with extensive coverage in all touristy cities/towns.
The advantage of Open Bus ticket is you're not bound by specific schedule & you can stay in a town or city as long as you want & confirming your next destination one day before you departure.
Open Bus ticket valid for 1 year from the date of purchase.
More Reviews (26)
muddybok's Related Pages
Hanoi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !"
- "Good morning Hanoi !"
- "Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon"
- "Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds"
- "MY 1ST STOP IN VIETNAM WAS......................."
- "Ignoring Hanoi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanoi
- Hotels in Hanoi
- Transportation in Hanoi
- Nightlife in Hanoi
- Restaurants in Hanoi
- Shopping in Hanoi
- Warnings and Dangers in Hanoi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hanoi
- 29 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Hanoi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanoi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 63 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vietnam Intro, 54 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 45 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mamallapuram Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- Melaka Intro, 34 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 40 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ha Long Intro, 36 reviews, 44 photos
- State of Sabah Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum- 81 Reviews, 151 Photos
- Water Puppet Show- 71 Reviews, 120 Photos
- Old Quarter- 40 Reviews, 98 Photos
- Hoan Kiem Lake- 103 Reviews, 226 Photos
- Temple of Literature- 67 Reviews, 173 Photos
- Ha Long Bay- 42 Reviews, 116 Photos
- The Museum of Ethnology- 38 Reviews, 105 Photos
- West Lake- 18 Reviews, 36 Photos
- One Pillar Pagoda- 44 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Hoa Lo Prison- 21 Reviews, 55 Photos
See All Hanoi Things to Do