"The Demon Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Mysore by muddybok
Mysore Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 562 photos
According to Hindu legend, the area around Mysore city was once the domain of the demon king Mahishasura (Mahisha meaning Buffalo), who grew almost invincible and wreaked havoc on the world. The Goddess Chamundeshwari, vanquished the demon Mahisha in a humungous struggle waged over a period of 10 days thus, Goddess Chamundeshwari is also known by the name Mahishasura Mardhini (slayer of Mahisha).The battle became a festive event which the annual 10-day Navaratri festival commemorates to this day. The region retains the name of the slain demon; the name Mysore is the anglicized version of Mahisuru which is derived from the words "Mahisha" (the demon) + "ûru" (town). Thus "Mahisha + ûru = Mahishûru", the "Abode of Mahisha" which word became, with repeated usage, the current name of "Maisûru" in Indian languages, anglicized to "Mysore".
This legend is among the one of the most important in Hindu mythology, and renders the temple of the Goddess Chamundeshwari, located atop Chamundi hills in Mysore, an important place of pilgrimage. The legend is commemorated by several monuments in Mysore, including the temple of Goddess Chamundeshwari on Chamundi Hills and an imposing statue of Mahishasura located nearby.
Facts extracted from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Indian Rupee (Hindi: रूपया) is the official currency of India. The issuance of the... more travel advice
You might have read & rated this tip in other India pages of mine. You may skip it if you already read about... more travel advice
muddybok's Related Pages
Mysore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mysore, Maharadjas and fairy tales"
- "Mysore ~ The City of Palaces"
- "The Demon Town"
- "A beautiful palace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mysore
- Hotels in Mysore
- Transportation in Mysore
- Nightlife in Mysore
- Restaurants in Mysore
- Shopping in Mysore
- Warnings and Dangers in Mysore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mysore
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Mysore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mysore
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 63 reviews, 92 photos, 4 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 46 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vietnam Intro, 54 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 45 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mamallapuram Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos
- Melaka Intro, 34 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 40 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ha Long Intro, 36 reviews, 44 photos
- State of Sabah Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos