"Fisherman's Tales" Lincolnshire by ChrisAlexander
Lincolnshire Travel Guide: 393 reviews and 793 photos
This small corner of the county of Lincolnshire can be found on the east coast of England at the mouth of the Humber River estuary. I wasn’t born here, but this is the place where I mostly spent my childhood and grew up before leaving for a while and returning again last year. I've since moved on again,but rather than leave the place to obscurity would like to spend some time here saying something about it.
Vikings sailed across the North Sea and gave names to a lot of the towns that they made here (towns and villages with names ending –by, -thorpe are typical).
In my grandmother’s family is a strong connection with fishing, which was the most important aspect of life here for a long time. It was a town of fishermen, but not so much these days.
I've tried to present some of the area's attributes in the pictures here.
Also featured here is the city of Lincoln,which I love.Well worth visiting if you're in this part of England.I would recommend it if you're visiting York,further north,as it would fit in nicely to see something of England's great cathedrals and religious history.Both cities are extremely pleasant places to do some sightseeing and shopping etc.
- Pros:One of the cheapest parts of England and quiet coast
- Cons:At the end of the rail tracks in more than one sense
- In a nutshell:Provincial north of England,but still worth a peep
Lincoln has some great used and antique bookshops located on the sloping streets leading up to the cathedral. Buy... more travel advice
There are alternative ways up and down to the cathedral in Lincoln that take you off the main street.Try this one... more travel advice
- See All Lincoln Cathedral
- See All High tides
- See All A place to rest before a sea journey
ChrisAlexander's Related Pages
Lincolnshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fisherman's Tales"
- "home of the yellow belly"
- "Places around Lincolnshire"
- "A wedding in Branston"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lincolnshire
- Hotels in Lincolnshire
- Transportation in Lincolnshire
- Nightlife in Lincolnshire
- Restaurants in Lincolnshire
- Shopping in Lincolnshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Lincolnshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lincolnshire
- 21 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Lincolnshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lincolnshire
Top 10 Pages
- Croatia Intro, 55 reviews, 61 photos
- Lincolnshire Intro, 21 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Slovakia Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Cambridge Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Paris Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Budapest 3 reviews, 4 photos