"Fisherman's Tales" Lincolnshire by ChrisAlexander

Lincolnshire Travel Guide: 393 reviews and 790 photos

This small corner of the county of Lincolnshire can be found on the east coast of England at the mouth of the Humber River estuary. I wasn’t born here, but this is the place where I mostly spent my childhood and grew up before leaving for a while and returning again last year. I've since moved on again,but rather than leave the place to obscurity would like to spend some time here saying something about it.
Vikings sailed across the North Sea and gave names to a lot of the towns that they made here (towns and villages with names ending –by, -thorpe are typical).
In my grandmother’s family is a strong connection with fishing, which was the most important aspect of life here for a long time. It was a town of fishermen, but not so much these days.
I've tried to present some of the area's attributes in the pictures here.

Also featured here is the city of Lincoln,which I love.Well worth visiting if you're in this part of England.I would recommend it if you're visiting York,further north,as it would fit in nicely to see something of England's great cathedrals and religious history.Both cities are extremely pleasant places to do some sightseeing and shopping etc.

• Pros:One of the cheapest parts of England and quiet coast
  • Cons:At the end of the rail tracks in more than one sense
  • In a nutshell:Provincial north of England,but still worth a peep
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2005

ChrisAlexander

“Enthusiasm and coherence do not always go together.(steve aylett)”

Badges & Stats in Lincolnshire

Have you been to Lincolnshire?

Latest Activity in Lincolnshire