"Portland, Oregon - the Rose City" Portland by goshawk301

Portland Travel Guide: 1,424 reviews and 2,793 photos

Portland is the southernmost of the "Cascadian Triumvirate" of cities (together with Seattle, WA and Vancouver, BC). Sometimes, when the U.S. politics gets too much, I think of the three cities and the surrounding region declare independence and form our own republic....

In a much more realizable note, I hope Portland will soon get the Montreal Expos, so that there would be a great AL-NL rivalry between them and us! :)

Portland is a river town, and so it's a town of bridges. It is located in the plain where the Willamette River comes ouf ot its valley and is about to join the Columbia. Its downtown is very attractive, with treed streets, canopied bus stops, brick-paved sidewalks, and many older buildings with charming facades.

Portland must be one of the easiest cities to get around; its streets are laid out in an easy-to-follow grid and the public transportation, consisting of buses and tramways, is excellent.

I don't come to Portland often enough - when thinking of a weekend trip, I tend to opt for San Francisco, because the idea of "further south" appeals to me - and that's my loss. This is a beautiful city that's worth an in-depth exploration.

• Last visit to Portland: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 30, 2004

goshawk301

“Fare forward, voyagers!”

Badges & Stats in Portland

Have you been to Portland?

Friends