"Haunted by the Spirit of Wandering (Basho)" goshawk301's Profile
The above picture was taken from the 21st floor viewing gallery of the Prefecture Council Building in Shizuoka, Japan, on New Year's Day, 2005.
On the job, I go to meetings and workshops 2-3 times a year in different locations in the U.S. One of these is always held in San Francisco, and since I also like going there for long weekends, San Francisco is probably my most traveled destination.
I visit my parents twice a year in my hometown of Shizuoka, Japan. Once preferably around the New Year; the other I try to change around, so that I get to experience different seasons in Japan. Of course, it would also depend on when I can take time off and when the air fare is cheap.
My two favorite places in the world are Kaua'i, and Methow Valley, Washington. Both places offer great natural scenery, tranquility to refresh my spirit, and plenty of outdoor and naturalist opportunities. An annual trip to a Hawaiian island has become my "winter therapy".
I continue to discover new, worthwhile places to visit right here in Washington State. I like taking day and weekend trips any time of the year.
Friends and Family are my biggest reasons to travel. It was, for example, my friends over there that first got me to travel to South America. I also love Nature, and I enjoy visits to places that feature great natural scenery, as well as activities that bring me an in-depth appreciation of nature like birdwatching, geology and stargazing. I also enjoy Music, Art and Books from different places in the world. Sometimes, though, it's just a simple urge to see something different that gets me going. I call it "pushing the Reset button for my brain".
Matsuo Basho (1644-1694), Japan's greatest haiku poet, was an inveterate traveler, and his travelogue Oku no Hosomichi (Narrow Road to the Deep North, 1694) is a classic of Japanese travel literature. The introduction, from which the title is taken, is a sort of traveler's manifesto.
Basho was influenced by the Tang dynasty poet Li Po, who considered travel as the fundamental state of everything in the Universe. For Basho, the desire to travel was also a kind of divine madness, something to which he felt he had to succumb from time to time. As travelers I think we can all recognize that urge to roam.
Fare forward, you who think that you are voyaging;
You are not those who saw the harbour
Receding, or those who will disembark.
Here between the hither and the farther shore
While time is withdrawn, consider the future
And the past with an equal mind.
At the moment which is not of action or inaction
You can receive this: "on whatever sphere of being
The mind of a man may be intent
At the time of death"—that is the one action
(And the time of death is every moment)
Which shall fructify in the lives of others:
And do not think of the fruit of action.
1/21/05 - Spent Christmas and New Year with my folks in Japan. I will put up photos from the trip on a new page about Shizuoka, Japan, in the coming weeks. Next trip: likely a late winter vacation in the Big Island, Hawaii, in early March.
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 91 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 4 Countries
- 15 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- goshawk301 and Marcinha are now friends.
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: RE: Middle Eastern immigrants"
- Commented on amy312's profile page
- Wrote a Review Stargazing in Kauai Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kona Coast Resort"
- updated a Hawaii (State of) Travel Page "A Gathering Place"
updated their Profile Page "Haunted by the Spirit of Wandering (Basho)"
PhotosSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Kauai Intro, 20 reviews, 20 photos
- Seattle Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Portland Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 10 reviews
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Mazama Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Nanao Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Kapaa Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22471 Reviews - 55005 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23320 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2027 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3096 Reviews - 5870 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos