"Deer Island, NB" Deer Island by marcoparco

Deer Island Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 67 photos

Deer Island is located on the southern shore of New-Brunswick. It is approximately one hour or so from Saint-John. I had been to Deer Island before however during the previous trip I was to young to appreciate its uniqueness and beauty. The total population is estimated at 1000 people. Most who reside on the Island are in the fishing buisness. The island itself is a mere 9 miles long and 3 miles wide. Even it is a small island, it is one that offers a lot for those who visit.
For more info on Deer Island visit

Herring Fishing

My ex-girlfriends brother in law was kind enough to take me and my ex-girlfriend to observe them fish herring. It was quite the adventure! See more in my Must See Tips!

WAVING!!!!

We were casually driving around the Island when I noticed that every car that we encountered would wave. I thought this was somewhat funny and figured my car was similar to someone who lived on the Island. It did not take me long to figure out that people from Deer Island are just friendly people who wave to everybody. The thing that confirmed my thoughts was when I received a wave from 90 year old (or so) woman that could barely see over the steering wheel!!

So to sum it up, the people on Deer Island are very friendly. If you are ever there, don't be shy...stick out your hand and wave!

• Pros:Great scenery, nice people and relaxing
  • Cons:Very small
  • In a nutshell:A relaxing getaway with very welcoming people!
  • Last visit to Deer Island: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 26, 2005

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2006 at 12:30 PM

Herring fishing in Canada. Well, why not? It looks good on your page. Keeping my fingers crossed for your Africa Expedition. Tell me how it goes, will ya?

• jojocan's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2006 at 6:55 PM

Great storytelling! The waves and cold Ithink I could handle, the smell of that many fish would push me over the edge though!

• Dec 25, 2004 at 7:49 PM

Sounds a bit too cold for my taste, and I don't think I've eaten a herring before, either. Thanks.

• Aug 14, 2004 at 4:57 PM

Damn, I'm jealous! That would be a very cool experience and I'm glad you shared it!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 1:14 PM

I'm glad that I came back for a look at your Updates! Amazing photos and descriptions of how the fishermen go about harvesting their herring catch!!!

• timefortravel's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2004 at 5:51 PM

interesting stuff!

• orlikins's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2004 at 8:01 AM

lovely page, the whirlpool sounds v pretty

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2004 at 6:45 PM

nice photos!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2004 at 6:08 PM

very nice page. i see i'm not the only one who likes to take photos of boats.

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2004 at 1:26 PM

Another interesting New Bruswick page!

marcoparco

“You only have one life.....”

Badges & Stats in Deer Island

Have you been to Deer Island?

Latest Activity in Deer Island