"Millinocket" Top 5 Page for this destination Millinocket by marcoparco

Millinocket Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 21 photos

Where the hell am I??????

It's one small town in the State of Maine. Stayed two nights camping in Millinocket. Was there to go white water rafting! Amazing experience! I can't wait to do it again

The trip all started with me and my dad driving to Main from New-Brunswick. That was an adventure on its own considering we were driving a unreliable 1991 Corsica (Don't ask me why we took this car since we had a fairly new Saturn sitting in our driveway as well...???). However it did add to the adventure. We kept wondering if the next mile would be our last. Turned out the beater lasted the trip without any problems. We sold it shortly after.

We arrived in the afternoon and set our tent at the Baxter National Park (we had reserved a few nights before). We enjoyed a nice camp fire that night and just tried to relax.
Early morning came (and i mean early....I think it was 6am) and we were on our way to North Country Rivers. I remember it was one heck of a place to find!!! Thank god we had printed of a map!

We arrived at their base camp all (my dads group from work) a tad nervous. After all, throwing yourself down a ragging river in a big rubber thing is kinda dangerous! We fitted our gear, got the crash course and we were ready to go!

All with our white skull caps we piled into this 1960's bus. What in the heck!!!!!! Yup, another surprise! The river was approximately a 30 min. drive from the base camp. That drive proved to be a heck of a lot of fun! We sang, yelled and shared stories. We finally arrived at our departure spot! It was time!

The River

We all piled in our raft and we were finaly off down the river (Penobscot)!!! Wow this wasn't do bad...We first just glided for the first ten minutes. I was wondering....hmmmmm they call this whitewater rafting????? Little did Iknow what was wating up ahead!!!!!! We came around a small turn and hit a 6-8 foot drop! What an introduction to whitewater!!!! I believe we were one of the lucky rafts as we were able to keep it together and not flip! The morning was filled with more fine white waterand then it was time for lunch....Included in our deal was a steak lunch served beside the river. It was a great way to enjoy nature and listen to some terrifying stories from the guides and rafting veterans! The afternoon was spent ridding class 4 and 5 whitewater. What a rush! It was to say the least and amazing experience and adventure!

• Pros:Very Beautiful and picturesque
  • Cons:It's in the middle of NOWHERE!
  • In a nutshell:Just go for the rafting!
  • Last visit to Millinocket: Dec 2000
  • Intro Updated Feb 20, 2004

• jojocan's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2005 at 12:14 AM

Oh, thats on my to-do list, white water rafting!

• MJB123's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2004 at 5:14 PM

So you were white water rafting! Cool. How did you keep from throwing up? Or did you and that is what you meant by "What a rush!!" I would definately be rushing to the nearest toliette bowl to puke after getting of the raft.

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2004 at 12:56 PM

The rafting looks great! We're headed to Main as well this summer, don't know if we'll make it to Baxter as it's a bit out of our way, but you never know. Thanks for the tips!!!

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2004 at 12:59 PM

That white water rafting sure looks like a lot of fun

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2004 at 6:23 PM

It looks like great fun!! Just for the record, Millinocket is exactly half-way from Fredericton, NB to Augusta, Maine!! I know from experience when we have to meet somewhere in the middle ground regarding electric power issues!

marcoparco

“You only have one life.....”

Badges & Stats in Millinocket

Have you been to Millinocket?

Latest Activity in Millinocket