"Jacmel- The potential of Haiti" Top 5 Page for this destination Jacmel by marcoparco

Jacmel Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 64 photos

Personally I found the airport to be an attraction of it's own! Flying in from Port au Prince on a 13 seat plane was hard on the nerves but nonetheless provided us with some amazing views that I will never forget.....

We spent 2 days in Jacmel and Cayes Jacmel (somewhat of a getaway weekend). The last day we spent doing rehabilitation focused assessments in the city of Jacmel. I am told that this is probably one of the nicest areas in Haiti. We visited some beaches in the area and it felt like I was on a 5 star resort somewhere in Cuba. The sights were amazing and I often found myself wondering if I was in in the poor little country called Haiti. The living conditions were meagre as one could expect but for some reason, I could see and feel the potential of the people in this area of the country. A must see if you are travelling to Haiti. Especially if you are there during the last week of February! CARNIVAL!

The bay of Jacmel. Where to start? Decades ago Jacmel flourished and used to be frequently visited by tourists! However with the continuous political instability, tourism and the economy in whole took a hit.
Jacmel was originally discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492 and property of the Spain until 1697. In the early 1700's it was then taken over and colonized by the French.
An interesting fact....Most buildings in Jacmel, and Haiti for that matter, are made out of cement or cinder block. Sometime in the 1800's Jacmel experienced a large fire that ripped across the city. The fire was devastating and not long after, wood construction was completely banned! It is said that today the rule is still in power....that is; no wood construction.

To the right you will find what used to be a flourishing city centre. It is obviously run-down however still one of the nicest areas in Haiti today.

• Pros:The tempature, the sights, the people and the ocean.....
  • Cons:You are still in the poorest country in the western hemisphere
  • In a nutshell:An amazing spot that provides you with a great cultural experience!
  • Last visit to Jacmel: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated May 2, 2006

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Excellent page! But now I wonder why Haiti is actually so poor?!

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 4:33 PM

And again, great page:)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2006 at 11:21 AM

Great stuff Marc! Being able to get out for some Nightlife with the locals must have been quite an experience!! These old towns may be a bit run down, but they are always interesting!

marcoparco

“You only have one life.....”

Badges & Stats in Jacmel