"Oulu- my home town" Oulu by maria_te

Oulu Travel Guide: 420 reviews and 1,242 photos

Oulu is the place I was born and I am very proud of it! When I was at school, I couldn't wait to get out of Oulu. I thought the city was too small and dull and there was nothing much happening there. When I finally finished my last exams, I was on the plane heading to live in England the very next day. I'm sure this sort of feeling is very familiar to many of you too! Now that I've lived in a couple of more places and been around a little bit (there is still so much to explore though!!!), I've found my view of Oulu changing so much! What a lovely city it is! And how good it is to live there!

A little bit of geography to those of you who have no idea where Oulu is (don't worry, I've never met a person outside of Finland who have known where it is). Oulu lies on the western coast of Finland and is approximately 700km from Helsinki, the capital, and about 250km from the Arctic circle. So yes, it does get quite cold in here during the winters!

I think the record in Oulu is somewhere around -45C or so and
-52C in the far north. I'm not kidding you, as Oulu is right next to the sea, the cold wind makes it feel lots colder!! So if you visit at winter time, you definitely need to get your hands on kalsarit (long John's, some people wear two pairs on top of each other), villasukat (wollen socks, every Finnish womas has been taught how to knit them, so you don't have to worry) and a proper pipo (beenie). Be prepared to look like a Moomin.

• Intro Updated May 23, 2006

• lonestar_philomath's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2006 at 5:48 AM

Terve! Back in 1997 there was an interesting little shop where I purchased handmade Orange glassware from Marienhamn.

• Hermanater's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 10:46 PM

Happy birthday....your opening photo is absolutely amazing.....I love it.

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2004 at 7:54 AM

nice pages on Oulu. I am staying in Oulu right now, on a business trip, (Ramada inn) Enjoy the wintertime in this beautiful corner of the world

• Igraine's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2004 at 3:06 AM

Nice to see something about Oulu. Happy Birthday too :-)

• jto's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2004 at 5:39 AM

Nice page and Congrats to the SM-Liiga gold. We have played Kärpät many times and had many tough games.:) I should visit Oulo again soon.

• baronedivandastad's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2004 at 8:41 AM

Nice one Maria! hyva homma! the baron of Vanda Stad

• travelife's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2004 at 9:46 AM

Nice Oulu page...

maria_te Was Born Here!

maria_te

“A ship is safe in harbour but that's not what ships are built for. (W.Shedd)”

Badges & Stats in Oulu