"GRU - Gateway to São Paulo" Guarulhos by worldcam
Guarulhos Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 7 photos
Guarulhos is the gateway to the city of São Paulo. Why? This is where SP's international airport is located. GRU is about a 35 minute drive (with no traffic, double with traffic) northeast of downtown São Paulo. It is a city of commuters as well as multinational factories - from Pfiser to ABB and countless others. I visit here frequently because this is where my wife's family lives....so I know quite a bit about the in's and out's of the airport and the city.
If you are staying in Guarulhos it is likely because you have flown in late and are connecting in the morning to another destination. Remember! Guarulhos is the international airport (although a good number of domestic flights do leave from GRU) Congonhas (CGH) is the domestic airport which is IN the city of São Paulo.
If you are staying in Guarulhos you are likely not a tourist visiting the city. You'll like be "in transit" or doing business in this factory city. There are a number of hotels in the city that cover a wide range of prices and comfort. Yes, there is the typical Mariott hotel -- you'll feel as though you're in the US. But for half the price (75 USD) you can stay at a equally comfortable place which is now called SLAVARIO.....This hotel has changed names a few times - SOL MELIA, to TRYP GUARULHOS to SLAVARIO which it is today - stayed there in March and it is better than it ever was .... more English speaking staff in all areas of the hotel. Still a bit slow in the parking/valet department, but it's my guess you won't be driving there anyway, so not to worry! If you care to be a little more frugal with the money you can get into the HOTEL IBIS -- and if you do have money to play with than the CAESAR PARK/CAESAR BUSINESS is divine. The MERCURE took over the Parthenon -- it is attached to the IBIS, the Dolby International is where the Mercure used to be, it's a tired place similar to Embassy Suites in the US. All hotels have a shuttle to/from the airport... Big note -- the Best Western is in a poor location and the Comfort Inn is not longer...it was having a name change last time I was there - it is downtown -- again, not the best place to be. And I heard it has really really small rooms.
Long story short -- I suggest the SLAVERIO.
- Pros:OK to spent the night for a flight, but that's all.
- Cons:Not a vacation destination -- it the São Paulo airport city
- In a nutshell:GRU is a "in transit" city -- unless you're there for work.
Honestly, there is not much to do in Guarulhos. This is a huge suburb of São Paulo best known for the factories of... more travel advice
This hotel is an ok place to stay. I found the service has not improved over the last few years despite a higher brand... more travel advice
worldcam's Related Pages
Guarulhos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GRU - Gateway to São Paulo"
- "Airport City, But not only it lives of the airport"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Guarulhos
- 6 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Guarulhos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guarulhos
Top 10 Pages
- Australia Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ilha de Boipeba Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Thailand Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brazil Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Russia Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Norway Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nevada Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.