"Living off past glory" Top 5 Page for this destination Atami by salisbury3933
Atami Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 106 photos
Although I will be back in the area at some point to see more of the Izu peninsula, I'll probably not spend any more time in Atami.
In days go by it was very much a honeymoon destination for Japanese with its many hot spring resorts, but these days its very much living off the days of old.
Most accommodation is a bit overpriced, and parts of the city are in desperate need of renewal.
With the Kanto area and its 30-odd million people not far away, Atami hasn't had to do much to get people to come, as the hot springs were what drew and what continues to draw people there.
I enjoyed my stay, and I liked the chance to relax in a rotenburo and eat some good seafood, but it's far from the best onsen town in Japan.
Noticed this as we were walking through the city. Interesting looking bridges. more travel advice
I didn't go in (honestly), so no comments, but this may interest some people. more travel advice
salisbury3933's Related Pages
Atami Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Atami 2013"
- "Atami, the Old fashioned hot spa resort in Japan"
- "Living off past glory"
- "Small City by the Ocean"
- "The Onsen city on the Beach"
- "A relaxing seaside resort town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Atami
- Hotels in Atami
- Transportation in Atami
- Restaurants in Atami
- Shopping in Atami
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Atami
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Atami?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atami
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 84 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matsuyama Intro, 52 reviews, 62 photos
- Japan Intro, 54 reviews, 44 photos
- Upper Hutt Intro, 33 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wellington Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vladivostok Intro, 22 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 22 reviews, 14 photos
- Seoul Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rarotonga Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ehime-ken Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos