"Living off past glory" Top 5 Page for this destination Atami by salisbury3933

Atami Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 106 photos

Atami

Although I will be back in the area at some point to see more of the Izu peninsula, I'll probably not spend any more time in Atami.

In days go by it was very much a honeymoon destination for Japanese with its many hot spring resorts, but these days its very much living off the days of old.

Most accommodation is a bit overpriced, and parts of the city are in desperate need of renewal.

With the Kanto area and its 30-odd million people not far away, Atami hasn't had to do much to get people to come, as the hot springs were what drew and what continues to draw people there.

I enjoyed my stay, and I liked the chance to relax in a rotenburo and eat some good seafood, but it's far from the best onsen town in Japan.

• Last visit to Atami: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 5, 2008

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Probably Atami Castle is the worst place to visit in Atami. Next time you visit Atami, try MOA museum, Kinomiya and Izusan Shrines, Atami Plum Garden, Akao Rose Garden, and Kiunkaku Garden. If you have extra time visit Oshima Island or Hatsushima Island. Off-the-beaten places include Ajiro. If you are bored get to Jogasaki Coast in Ito. Izu Peninsula has so much places to see. Atami is still recognize as a hub for visiting Izu places.

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo
      Sep 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM

You're right I think, often I just leave Japan travel plans to my wife, and I'm not sure whether or not she knew of the places you mentioned.

I'm pretty sure Ajiro is where out accommodation was, but don't quote me on that. Next time I'm in the area, Izu is where I want to go.

• RoseAmano's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Interesting that you found Atami too outdated for liking. Yeah, it's old but a charm point for me! (s'pose I'm not into the super modern architecture revolution of the last five years in central Tokyo..) Cheers from Kawasaki!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2008 at 4:25 AM

This ropeway near Atami I did not know. Its a wonderful view.I am updating my French and Swiss pages in Geneva whenever I have time. You must visit France not only Paris but other places like Provence, Cote d'Azur, etc.

salisbury3933

“Travel, good food and good beer. Nothing better.”

Badges & Stats in Atami