"The Autumn Colours of Karuizawa" Kyu-karuisawa by salisbury3933
Kyu-karuisawa Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 17 photos
Karuizawa is a very interesting town with a lot happening. Given its proximity to Tokyo, a lot of people come up on weekends, and there are plenty of the well heeled type who own 2nd houses up there as well.
It's an all year round destination. In summer, it's a good place to escape the heat of the Japanese summer, in winter the snow means that plenty of skiers and snowboarders are in town, and in autumn the colours are very pretty indeed. There are also several golf courses in the vicinity, and the one I did see looked to be very busy when we went past.
It is a very prosperous looking town, and benefits from the fact it is on the Nagano Shinkansen line, and therefore very easy to get to from Tokyo.
In line with the 'high roller' image, Karuizawa has a lot of shops selling specialty food and drink. High quality items such as sausages and other meat products, honey, jam are on sale, and there are some very good bakeries in town as well by Japan standards.
Of note for me as well was the fact that there is some excellent beer brewed locally. Definitely worth sampling!
This place does a pretty good lunch set for 2000 yen or so. In my case a good steak hit the spot nicely. Food and... more travel advice
As Karuizawa is quite spread out bicycles are a handy way of getting around town. There are a number of bicycle rental... more travel advice
salisbury3933's Related Pages
Kyu-karuisawa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Karuizawa, mountain town at its finest"
- "The Autumn Colours of Karuizawa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kyu-karuisawa
- Hotels in Kyu-karuisawa
- Transportation in Kyu-karuisawa
- Restaurants in Kyu-karuisawa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kyu-karuisawa
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Kyu-karuisawa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kyu-karuisawa
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 81 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matsuyama Intro, 50 reviews, 59 photos
- Japan Intro, 54 reviews, 44 photos
- Upper Hutt Intro, 33 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wellington Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vladivostok Intro, 22 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 22 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rarotonga Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Taipei Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nouméa Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos