"Hello and welcome to my updated VT page :D" kevarms's Profile

4 August 2007 - two short trips made up my summer holidays this year. Berlin and Scotland. I'm very interested in the WW2 so Berlin was particularly fascinating for me. It was really interesting to see a place so historically important. Also a plus, unlike many cities that were destroyed in the war the reconstruction of the city is superb. It was my first trip back to Scotland in 17 years. The people are just as hospitable and friendly as they were back then (like the Irish are supposed to be, but aren't). Stirling was a gem of a city. We only went there on my wife's suggestion, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Edinburgh had an excellent vibe on the eve of the Festival, which unfortunately we had to miss.
14 June 2007 - seems the travel bug is well and truly back. I have 2 weeks off work coming up and planning a couple short breaks. 3 days in Scotland the first week, second week Berlin is looking the favourite.

8 June 2007 - just got back from a short break in Connemara. I had been dying to go there for a long time and finally made it. We stayed in Clifden and, as well as seeing County Galway, took in Clare Island and the Cliffs of Moher . It is a beautiful part of the world - the Ireland I used to dream about - and I was so enthused with it I've already added a lot of tips. Photos to follow soon.

9 February 2007 - haven't been visiting VT regularly lately. I should because I have a lot of new tips to add after spending my second Christmas and New Year in Japan. This time we travelled north, spending time in Nikko and a place right at the foot of Mount Fuji, before finishing off the trip in Kanazawa like last year. Kanazawa is fast becoming my favourite city in Japan.

21 November 2006 - seems awful quiet on here lately. No ratings for my new tips and even number of page views has hardly gone up since I started using VT again. Would be nice to know my tips are useful (or even not useful) to somebody. Where is everybody!!??

18 November 2006 - dug out a box of keepsake tickets etc from previous trips and added lots of new tips. Itinerary almost complete for Japan trip. Kanazawa, Takayama, Kawaguchi-ko and Nikko. Looking forward to seeing some new places, as well as revisiting beautiful Kanazawa.

13 November 2006 - preparing for my fourth trip to Japan at Christmas

11 November 2006 - started work on tips from my summer trip to Japan. Will start working on scanning some photos shortly.

7 November 2006 - haven't been a regular at VT for over a year but now I'm back!!! Where have I been? Well, apart from changing job, moving house twice and getting married I've 'only' been to Japan (twice) and in the immediate vicinity of my new home in County Louth, Ireland. But I have a better camera! :)
I plan to improve my existing pages and add lots of new ones from my travels and adventures over the past 12+months, as well as enjoying the pages of other members. There are lots of really fantastic ones out there. It's good to be back :)

NEW PAGES AND UPDATES

Hong Kong - my favourite city (minor updates)

Japan - land of the rising sun (lots of new tips and pages)

Osaka - (added intro and some new tips)

Recent Trips -

Places I have lived -

Aug 1971 - Jun 2001 Northampton, England
Jun 2001- Jan 2002 Kibbutz Ginegar, Israel
Jan 2002 - Jul 2004 Northampton, England
Jul 2004 - Aug 2005 Waterford, Ireland
Aug 2005 - Sep 2006 Drogheda, Ireland
Sep 2006- present Dundalk, Ireland

Future Plans (and Wishes)

2007: Usually I have a shortlist each year of places I may visit. This year I don't have any clue where or when I'll be going anywhere. Some possibilities.....

Florida - still haven't been to see my sis since she emigrated. I'll go via...
New York - the only place in the US I am determined to see while on this earth.
Brussels - a good mate of mine has just landed a dream job there. Great excuse to go and see if Belgian beer is still as good as it was 20 years ago.
Finland - my wife wants to go after being inspired by the Monty Python song
Scotland - wife again, she's the boss
London - ditto

Quietest Place: The Desert, Saudi Arabia
Noisiest Place: Tel Aviv, Israel
Worst Traffic Problem: Seoul, South Korea
Best Nightlife: Amsterdam, Holland
Best Food: Hong Kong (was Melbourne)
Best Beer: Amsterdam, Holland

KEV'S ACHIEVEMENTS
Continents: 5
Countries: 19

Flights (take-off): 90
Flights (landing): 90 - phew ! :)
Ferry crossings : lots now
Ship-wrecked: 0 - yay !

Furthest North: Stirling, Scotland
Furthest East : Melbourne, Australia
Furthest South: Melbourne, Australia
Furthest West: Grand Forks, ND, USA
Highest Altitude: Bavarian Alps, approx 2,000 metres
Lowest Altitude: Dead Sea, Israel, -397 metres (-1,302 feet)
Hottest Temperature: Haifa, Israel, 42 degrees
Longest Flight: Amsterdam-Johannesburg
Longest Drive: Northampton, England - Stranraer, Scotland; 347 miles

• Intro Updated Nov 11, 2007

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
kevarms's Profile Photo

kevarms

“Don't hope it happens, MAKE it happen”

Location