"Laconia, New Hampshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Laconia by psychocy
Laconia Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 32 photos
I feel privileged to live in Laconia, which happens to be the central city of the Lakes Region, located 25 minutes north of Concord, the state capitol. In addition to numerous lakes (including Winnipesaukee, the largest in New England) the Lakes Region is home to great mountain views, attractions, and ski resorts. Most of the attractions are open in season only (the arcades and water slide on Weirs Beach, for instance), but a few are open year-round (such as Funspot Family Entertainment Center). The summer is hectic here with many tourists, but the opportunities for activities like boating, scub diving, and swimming are worth braving the crowds.
Much revitalized after years of floundering, Laconia's main street community is now thriving like never before. If you like shopping, eating, or just enjoying old-fashioned main street buildings and atmosphere, Laconia has what you're looking for. It has suffered a loss in recent years when the old Colonial Theater shut down, but other unique shops have sprung open, helping keep the area alive - and as you know, bustling Main Street communities are hard to come by in this day and age!
The city is scenic in many areas, but there are also the normal run-down spots. The unique flavor of the region reflects the tourist seasons, lake dominated valleys, and old-fashioned attitudes.
We are even home to a 4 screen drive in theater, right on Weirs Beach, open all summer. We also host the premiere motorcycle event - Laconia Bike Week in June. Tens of thousands of bikers show up for this event.
Other local attractions include the Loudon Speedway for NASCAR fans (15 minutes away), and the MS Mount Washington cruise ship.
- Pros:Good scenery, many attractions here, many more nearby, I live here!
- Cons:Many seasonal attractions, can be busy in seasons, somewhat expensive, bike week is too crowded.
- In a nutshell:Laconia is full of things to do, but better in late summer/early spring when you can avoid the crowds.
From the state's description - "Constructed in 1832, the Belknap Mill is the oldest unaltered brick textile mill in the... more travel advice
Laconia public library was finished in 1903 in the Romanesque style of architecture. This style emphasizes weight and... more travel advice
psychocy's Related Pages
Laconia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Laconia, New Hampshire"
- "Scooter2's new Laconia Page"
- "Gorgeous Lake Winnepasaukee"
- "TimQ's Laconia Page"
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "Lakes Region"
- "vrage's new Laconia Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laconia
- Hotels in Laconia
- Transportation in Laconia
- Restaurants in Laconia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Laconia
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Laconia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laconia
Photos in LaconiaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penzance Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Inverness Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Sancreed Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mousehole Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laconia Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Glastonbury Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Bath Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos