"Laconia, New Hampshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Laconia by psychocy

Laconia Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 32 photos

A Great Place To Visit, A Better Place To Live!

I feel privileged to live in Laconia, which happens to be the central city of the Lakes Region, located 25 minutes north of Concord, the state capitol. In addition to numerous lakes (including Winnipesaukee, the largest in New England) the Lakes Region is home to great mountain views, attractions, and ski resorts. Most of the attractions are open in season only (the arcades and water slide on Weirs Beach, for instance), but a few are open year-round (such as Funspot Family Entertainment Center). The summer is hectic here with many tourists, but the opportunities for activities like boating, scub diving, and swimming are worth braving the crowds.

Award-Winning Main Street Community

Much revitalized after years of floundering, Laconia's main street community is now thriving like never before. If you like shopping, eating, or just enjoying old-fashioned main street buildings and atmosphere, Laconia has what you're looking for. It has suffered a loss in recent years when the old Colonial Theater shut down, but other unique shops have sprung open, helping keep the area alive - and as you know, bustling Main Street communities are hard to come by in this day and age!

Unique Flavor

The city is scenic in many areas, but there are also the normal run-down spots. The unique flavor of the region reflects the tourist seasons, lake dominated valleys, and old-fashioned attitudes.

We are even home to a 4 screen drive in theater, right on Weirs Beach, open all summer. We also host the premiere motorcycle event - Laconia Bike Week in June. Tens of thousands of bikers show up for this event.

Other local attractions include the Loudon Speedway for NASCAR fans (15 minutes away), and the MS Mount Washington cruise ship.

• Pros:Good scenery, many attractions here, many more nearby, I live here!
  • Cons:Many seasonal attractions, can be busy in seasons, somewhat expensive, bike week is too crowded.
  • In a nutshell:Laconia is full of things to do, but better in late summer/early spring when you can avoid the crowds.
  • Last visit to Laconia: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2006

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2006 at 3:32 AM

Hello Ken. Tahnks for stopping by my Biloxi page. It is a tragedy what has happened there. We loved that place. I enjoyed reading about your home town of Laconia. What a lovely place to live.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2006 at 5:48 PM

My son got in trouble for riding a jet ski in front of the tour boat one summer. He was a tyrant. We all loved the lake. Of course the boys loved the Weirs.

• imstress's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 6:57 AM

thanks for your kind comment. i was wondering why a psycho would visit me ;p

• Minstrelette's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2005 at 7:16 PM

I agree- Awakenings sounds nice. Great tips on your town. Hope to go there one day soon.

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2005 at 11:40 AM

Laconia, and especially Awakenings, looks like my kind of place.

• kooka3's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2005 at 2:43 PM

How did I miss Awakenings?? I thought I hit every non-chain coffee place around the Lake! :) Loved your tips. Brought back lots of great memories (especially the Drive-In and the Reggae Cruises on the Mount!)

• KaterinaJordan's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2004 at 4:11 AM

When I first sow your home page I thought you were living in Greece. Do you know there is a district in Southern Greece (Peloponese area) named "Laconia". The capital of this region is "Sparta" the well known city during ancient ages?

• feline01's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2004 at 10:35 AM

The Funspot sounds like our type of place-have to take a trip there someday for my husband to play hours of Missile Command, Centipede and Tetris. What a great place to live!

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2004 at 12:18 PM

excellent page, with really well written tips, it was a pleasure to read would love to do the dinner cruise, best wishes

• Agraichen's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2004 at 8:40 AM

Great shot of the MS Mt. Washington on the lake. A HS buddy of mine used to be the engineer on that monstrosity. Brings back memories growing up on Newfound Lake.

psychocy Lives Here!

psychocy

“The travel writer seeks the world we have lost - the lost valleys of the imagination.”

Badges & Stats in Laconia

Have you been to Laconia?

Friends