"Visit Inverness" Inverness by psychocy

Inverness Travel Guide: 339 reviews and 760 photos

A Brief History

The city of Inverness, a name meaning 'mouth of the river Ness', is also called the capitol of the Highlands. It is built along the banks of the River Ness, which flows from Loch Ness to the sea. The place was originally a small ancient settlement, but it is now the center of art and culture in this part of Scotland, with a comfortably spread population of 42,000. Inverness is also a mecca for bagpipe players and lovers of all persuasions, and we frequently would hear or see pipers in the oddest places. It's a beautiful locale, as you will see from my photos, and an affordable one as well.

A Personal Opinion

Of all the places I have visited in the world, Inverness is one of my favorites. It is certainly my favorite true 'city'. The atmosphere is friendly and lively, there is plenty to see and do, plentiful accomodations, and lots of variety for shopping and eating. Don't hesitate to visit Inverness. It was an incredible experience and I know this - if I can I will return here again and again.

• Pros:Beautiful place with lots to do, see, eat, shop, etc.
  • Cons:Not central to other cities and towns.
  • In a nutshell:One of the must-see places in Britain!
  • Last visit to Inverness: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 15, 2006

• scotlost's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2008 at 9:31 AM

When staying at self-catering flat in Inverness, this walk along the Ness is a daily event. Calming, good crack with locals, chance to get my dog fix! Great place to sit & enjoy the journey, even if it rains.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2007 at 10:52 PM

I've been visiting Inverness all my life and never heard of Leakey's Bookshop. Thanks for the tip. I'll look it up next time I get home.

• stevezero's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 7:35 AM

You seem to like your trips to uk! Should be up in Inverness myself in April.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2005 at 7:11 PM

I agree--Inverness was one of the best places I've ever visited. I was there two weeks ago and thought it fantastic! Working on my page right now. Well done. Cheers, Ed.

psychocy

“The travel writer seeks the world we have lost - the lost valleys of the imagination.”

Badges & Stats in Inverness

Have you been to Inverness?

Latest Activity in Inverness