"Penzance" Top 5 Page for this destination Penzance by psychocy
Penzance Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 218 photos
Brought to fame by Gilbert & Sullivan's 'Pirates of Penzance' play, Penzance is a wonderful seaside town with a number of interesting sites and shops. It isn't huge, with a population of 20,000, but it feels quaint while offering the amenities of larger communities. It would serve as an excellent base for exploring West Cornwall, since it's proximity to landmarks like St. Michael's Mount, Land's End, St. Ives, and Minack Theater is unrivaled. Penzance is the westernmost town in all Britain - go further and you just find farms and villages. Go even further and you fall off some big cliffs and wind up floating around in the Atlantic Ocean.
The name Penzance is from Pen Sans, an ancient Cornish term meaning 'Holy Headland'. Penzance has been a market town since it was settled at least 1000 years ago, and it offers an impressive number of shops, cafes, hotels, museums, parks, and churches for its size. Everything in town is within walking distance of town center, and there are many interesting little side streets with cool pubs and shops. Keep an eye out for Causeway Head and Chapel Street - my two favorite shopping and eating areas in town.
From the bus/train station (right in the center of town) you can see St. Michael's Mount in the distance and Mousehole and Newlyn a few miles west along the shore. These are good places to stroll through and explore. In the other direction you'll find the ancient town of Marazion. Stay a while and you'll find great pubs, street musicians, long beaches, and restaurants filled with fresh seafood from neighboring Newyln.
- Pros:Lots to see and do, good shopping, excellent transportation facilities to take you all over West Cornwall.
- Cons:I've heard it is quite crowded during the high seasons.
- In a nutshell:Use it as a base of operations, or at least stop and check it out.
Located close to the promenade, just behind the library, this pleasantly decorated park is tidy and quiet. It is also... more travel advice
Have a day pack or one strap backpack handy for days out in Penzance. There are great shops around - you're gonna buy... more travel advice
psychocy's Related Pages
Penzance Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not a pirate in sight!"
- "Penzance : the capital of West Cornwall"
- "Penzance - The land's end is near!!!"
- "Welcome to Penzance"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Penzance
- Hotels in Penzance
- Transportation in Penzance
- Restaurants in Penzance
- Shopping in Penzance
- Warnings and Dangers in Penzance
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penzance
- 10 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Penzance?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penzance
Photos in PenzanceSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penzance Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Inverness Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Sancreed Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mousehole Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laconia Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Glastonbury Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Bath Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos