"Pele never sleeps" Top 5 Page for this destination Volcano by hat53
Volcano Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 94 photos
The Big Island was the second stop on our honeymoon. We wanted to see the volcano park, the lava and some other parts of the Island.
I turned out that the volcano park was so fascinating, we didn't see anything else of the Island. We don't have regrets, the park was big enough to keep us busy and as this was our honeymoon we wanted to keep it a bit relaxed.
Volcano village is on top of the crater. It is on the safe side, so you don't have to worry about lava flows knocking at you door at night.
Because it is on top of the volcano all the clouds have to get rid of their water, i.e. lot's of rain.
All the water makes it possible for the plants, ferns and trees to grow. You will see lot's of beautiful and rare plant. Some of them are unique for Hawaii.
Don't let the rain stop you from exploring the island. Big Island has 5(?) different climates just go looking for the one you like.
The main reason for us to visit Big Island were the volcanoes. We were lucky Pele was stirring in her fire pot. There was lava flowing towards the sea.
It took us half an hour by car, to get from the wet top to the warm and windy coast. From the parking lot it was 45 minutes of climbing, jumping and walking to get to the flow.
It was amazing. The heat, the sound of crisping glass and the tick lava. It is like watching clouds, you can see anything in the slowly flowing lava. I think I saw the face of an old lady smiling at me. Was it Pele?
- Pros:Lava, the different climates, nature
- Cons:rain on top of, heat at the coast
- In a nutshell:You won't find this anywhere else
This is a short hike that brings you to the bottom of the Kilauea Iki Crater. You will descent via stairs (ccw) or path... more travel advice
hat53's Related Pages
Volcano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mother Earth's Scarred Country"
- "My "Volcano Page""
- "A Town on a Volcano Named Volcano"
- "Pele never sleeps"
- "A Place to Sleep"
- "Hello Madame Pele"
- "Volcano, Hawaii Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Volcano
- Hotels in Volcano
- Transportation in Volcano
- Restaurants in Volcano
- Warnings and Dangers in Volcano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Volcano
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Volcano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Volcano
Photos in VolcanoSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Delft Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Iceland Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Kauai Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Skaftafell Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- The Bahamas Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Petra Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
No friends yet.