" JON GILBERT LEAVITT" jglsongs's Profile
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
"The worst thing about being a tourist is having other tourists recognize you as a tourist."
-Russell Baker, U.S. columnist and journalist
"One day, you ought to go to a country where they don't speak English, and they don't even want to."
-Thornton Wilder, "Our Town"
MY TENETS OF TRAVEL a.k.a. Leavitt’s Laws:
If you head off a tourist-filled pedestrian plaza and onto a small street (especially one leading to a lot of winding or small cobblestone streets), you are likely to see and experience things that are more interesting and genuine than on the tourist-filled pedestrian plaza.
If you can recognize the name of a chain (fast food) restaurant in a foreign country, it’s not worth going inside and eating.
One word/phrase (especially thank you) spoken in the local language is worth a thousand spoken in English.
Don’t assume anything while traveling- there are always exceptions to every stereotype, assumption and an opinionated neighbor’s stilted opinion.
If you can’t recognize something on a menu, that’s all the more reason to order it.
The amount of time it takes to travel somewhere does not necessarily equal the amount of experiences you can have. In other words...there might be a whole new world you've never experienced in the next town, or even on the next street!
Although the travel industry cites June-September as high season, the REAL travel season runs from January-December in both hemispheres, and on both sides of the equator.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Pyramids of Giza Hotels
- Mo i Rana
- Port Said
- Province of Ontario
- Pompano Beach
- Selly Oak Hotels
- Perryville Battlefield State Park
- Voltri Hotels
- Nizhniy Novgorod
- Sioux Falls
- Cambridge Hotels
- Sigiriya Hotels
- Ano Nuevo Island State Park Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 358 Reviews
- 342 Photos
- 18 Countries
- 41 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- jglsongs and Dabs are now friends.
- updated a Munich Travel Page "München"
- Uploaded a Photo to "München"
- Wrote a Review THE restaurant on the Île-St-Louis in Paris Restaurants
updated their Profile Page " JON GILBERT LEAVITT"
- Commented on Dabs's profile page
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Re: CTA from O'Hare to..."
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 52 reviews, 43 photos
- New York City Intro, 62 reviews, 33 photos
- Berlin Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 19 reviews, 18 photos
- Chicago Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos
- Dublin Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Nicaragua Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Brooklyn Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Dresden Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Paris Hotels
- 22160 Reviews - 53864 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15525 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4448 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4270 Reviews - 8783 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19444 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos