"Jamaica: Memories of a School from Hell" Jamaica by gilabrand

Jamaica Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 7 photos

Never say never

Ever since transferring to another school and leaving this hellish place behind, I have had only bad memories of Jamaica. I remembered it as the ugliest place on earth. It was dirty, dark and gloomy with the sky obscured by a metal grid of elevated train tracks. It was earsplittingly noisy, as the trains screeched overhead. Cars honked and fire trucks wailed. The park across the street, encircled by a black iron fence, was off-limits to us. Any kid reported setting foot there was promptly sent to Mrs. Cohen, the teacher in charge of punishments at our school, a red-haired witch whom I visited quite often. Altogether, Jamaica was a menacing place.

Then one day, not so long ago, I went back there. We had flown to NY from Boston, and had several hours to wait before our international flight at JFK. Our bags had been checked straight through, so we were unencumbered and ready for an adventure (or at least I was...). Rather than hang around the airport, I suggested we hop on the Airtrain and get off at the last stop - Jamaica Station. We exited the station and found ourselves on Jamaica Boulevard.

• Last visit to Jamaica: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated May 27, 2009

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I used to work in Jamaica, it is not a safe neighborhood but it is exciting :) Thanks for visiting my Bayside Page, its nice to know the history of places :) I am figuring whether my house was part of the farm or the golf course in the past.....

• lionreb's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2004 at 2:33 PM

Aside from being a neighborhood in Queens, it is also an island in the Carribean.

gilabrand

“You were born an original; don't die a copy.”

Badges & Stats in Jamaica

Have you been to Jamaica?

Latest Activity in Jamaica