"Glen Spey: Bridge over untroubled waters" Glen Spey by gilabrand

Glen Spey Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos

Say "Glen Spey" and I immediately think of a little white bridge over a duck pond. A touch of Japan in the middle of a Jewish summer camp.

I spent July-August 1967 at Camp Ramah in Glen Spey, New York - a camp affiliated with the Jewish Theological Seminary and the Conservative movement. It was a pretty place, in a wooded area about 2 miles from the Delaware River.

Searching for Glen Spey on the Internet has turned up very little, apart from the sad chronicle of a camp that closed in 1971, sat empty for a few years, and finally burned down. On June 16, 1976, the Lumberland Fire Dept. was called to put out a fire that broke out in the kitchen-dining hall. To keep the vandals away, the rest of the place was deliberately burned down in 1982 - an event described by the Glen Spey firefighters as a "great training experience."

• Last visit to Glen Spey: Jul 1967
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2004

• beret's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2006 at 9:46 AM

I had to do a map search based on your description. I sometimes go over the hill through Woodbourne and Ellenville. Many camps through that area.

• Aug 1, 2004 at 7:43 PM

I have VERY fond memories of Camp Ramah in Glen Spey. I wish it were still in operation so I could send my kids there!

• lionreb's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2004 at 8:36 PM

If you want memories of Camp Ramah in Glen Spey, Let me know. I t was a nice camp.

gilabrand

“You were born an original; don't die a copy.”

Badges & Stats in Glen Spey

Have you been to Glen Spey?

Latest Activity in Glen Spey