"Flushing As It Was" Top 5 Page for this destination Flushing by gilabrand

Flushing Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 67 photos

I weep for the weeping beeches of Flushing that are no more.

So many days of my childhood in Flushing were spent under an ancient weeping beech in the backyard of my friend Margaret, laughing and talking, swinging on the long swooping branches that unfurled to the ground, hiding us from the rest of the world. It was our secret place, and it's gone - chopped down to make way for what the world calls "progress"...

Flushing High School, which I went to for two years, is a grand Gothic-style building on Northern Boulevard and Union Street with an imposing tower and beasty gargoyles peering down at you from the doorways. Established in 1875, it is on record as the second oldest high school in New York City.

Funny, how you don't see that your school was actually a beautiful place until you're old and gray...

• Last visit to Flushing: May 2014
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2014

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2014 at 10:28 AM

What lovely buildings and Thank you for sharing your memories. Nice page!

• TaberTouch's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Unfortunately the Bowne house is closed for restoration, as of when I was there on 18 Jun 2011, and the sign gave no date for when it was to reopen.

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Wow, your high school looks like a chateau (outside) or an opera house! Did you enjoy it there? Have you been back? I wonder how it is now...

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2010 at 10:26 AM

It sounds like a great place to have solid roots and a quality life. YOur descriptions are very good, and I am surprised of such a nice castle there. We just returned form Phoenix and had great warm weather.

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Very nice page! Your old school is beautiful! Too bad about the beech. If you'd still live in Flushing, I would send you a new Belgian shoot.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Spent some time in Flushing (Mets/Cubs game) last week while on business trip. Thanks for giving me a little more insight.

• NYTim's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2010 at 4:06 AM

Well I never thought I would see a Flushing page on VT. Good for you. Although I am a Manhattaner it is nice to hear about other parts of the city.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

How interesting to read about another part of New York. I especially enjoyed your memories of the World's Fair and the Bowne House. I do hope that movie theatre survives the wrecker's ball ...

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2009 at 2:26 AM

There's Vlissingen and Flushing :) Enjoy the Season. PJ

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2009 at 8:49 PM

some fascinating history notes Gila. Thank you for the memories of a place that didn't exist for me 20 minutes ago. The Quaker bldg is one that I think I should see.

gilabrand Used To Live Here!

gilabrand

“You were born an original; don't die a copy.”

Badges & Stats in Flushing

Have you been to Flushing?

Latest Activity in Flushing