"Jerusalem & Beyond" Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem District by gilabrand
Jerusalem District Travel Guide: 2,051 reviews and 6,347 photos
Jerusalem is an endless source of wonder, but the hills around it offer an interesting glimpse of life in ancient times that may be worth a detour. Here are a few things to do, just minutes from the city:
* You can explore an old Crusader farmstead and follow the meanderings of an ancient creek at Aquabella.
* You can learn about how people in biblical times eked out a living from crops grown on stony hillside terraces like those still cultivated today in the Sataf.
* You can hike up the hill past Latrun Abbey and have a picnic amid the lichen covered ruins of a 12th century Crusader fort overlooking Neve Shalom, a settlement where idealistic Jews and Arabs live together.
*You can drive to the Israeli Arab village of Abu Ghosh to eat hummus, pick up some great baklawah and attend a concert at a church built on the site where the Ark of the Covenant made a stopover on the way to Jerusalem.
* You can visit Beit Shemesh, a town mentioned in the Book of Samuel. Samson and Delila had their fling in the valley, and back in 1951, "David and Bathsheba," starring Gregory Peck and Susan Hayward, was filmed on the hilltop.
* You can visit the first kibbutz in the Jerusalem hills, Kiryat Anavim, which played an important role in the War of Independence. Some of the legendary figures of the time are buried in its cemetery.
* You can say a prayer at Nebi Samuel, the traditional burial place of the prophet Samuel, where the Muslims pray upstairs and the Jews pray downstairs, in a minaret-topped building on the hill surrounded by the excavated remains of an ancient city and rock quarry.
* You can pay your respects at Yad Kennedy, a memorial to JFK in the middle of the Jerusalem Forest and follow the hiking paths to little springs and pools of water hidden in the hills.
* You can test your hiking skills in Nahal Halilim, a dry creek just below Mevasseret Zion. Follow the marked path down the hillside to reach a maze of wonderful caves carved into the rock by rainwater.
* You can board bus 174 or 175 opposite the Central Bus Station and visit Ma'aleh Adumim, a beautiful flowering city of 50,000 people built from scratch - again just a 10-minute drive from Jerusalem, going south.
WATER was a precious resource, carefully collected in pools and cisterns, and farming the rocky terrain was a challenge. One way to coax the land into producing crops was terraced farming, using gravity to irrigate plots on narrow mountain ridges.
GET AWAY from the city and hear the birds chirp at Shoresh Hotel, a 10-minute drive from Jerusalem. Not fancy, not spotless, but good for nature hikes and family weekends.
Trekking up to the monastery in Latrun (or walking a few feet from your parked car), the first thing you come upon as... more travel advice
Abu Ghosh is full of little shops that claim they are THE original seller of whatever it is that is being sold. The word... more travel advice
gilabrand's Related Pages
Jerusalem District Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old City"
- "Jerusalem & Beyond"
- "Around Jerusalem"
- "Kaleidoscope of History"
- ""Next year in JerUSAlem""
- "There is not city in the world as Jeruslem"
- "Visit to Jerusalem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jerusalem District
- Hotels in Jerusalem District
- Transportation in Jerusalem District
- Nightlife in Jerusalem District
- Restaurants in Jerusalem District
- Shopping in Jerusalem District
- Warnings and Dangers in Jerusalem District
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jerusalem District
- 88 Reviews
- 187 Photos
- 180 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Jerusalem District?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jerusalem District
- Posted in Travel Israel Forum "Re: Neighborhood suggestions for..."
- updated a Jerusalem District Travel Page "Jerusalem & Beyond"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The hills are alive...."
- Commented on one of FruitLover's Jerusalem District travel pages
- Wrote a Review Monk?s Marmalade in Jerusalem District Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 80 reviews, 169 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 47 reviews, 98 photos, 8 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haifa Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem District Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue