London Hotel Tips by gilabrand
London Hotels: 859,994 reviews and 2,216 photos
The Marble Arch is not an intimate little mom & pop hotel. With 692 rooms, it is a big, bustling place with people coming and going from all over the world. The lobby, a glitsy Art Deco affair, is always teeming. Nevertheless, the service was good and the rooms were quite spacious. The linens and blankets were not luxurious - we are not great fans of scratchy wool - but everything was perfectly clean.
Unique Qualities: The location is excellent, across the street from Hyde Park, where all the double decker bus tours start. The underground is two steps away (the station is Marble Arch & Bond Street).
The hotel is right on the corner of Oxford Street where all the famous shops and department stores are located. We were there in January when the winter sales were on and the stores were packed with bargain hunters (I didn't think it was so cheap, but everyone else did - they were practically mauling one another to get at the merchandise).
The buffet breakfast was very rich and varied -more like dinner than breakfast, with all the sausages, potatoes, baked beans and other odd things eaten in England in the morning, but there was also plenty for vegetarians like us to choose from.
The hotel has a convenient room for storing your luggage so you can go out for some last minute shopping while waiting for your taxi to the airport.
Address: Bryanston Street Marble Arch, London, England W1H
Price Comparison: about average
Small but adequate
Last summer, in August 2014 I stayed at the Thistle City Barbican in Clerkenwell, walking distance from Barbican Center. At the moment, you can book rooms there for 89 pounds a night, which is definitely not expensive for London. When I was there, the price included breakfast - and it was a very good, quite lavish spread. It was a few blocks from two tube stations. I was at a conference and had very little time, but I was able to walk to quite a few interesting places, including the Tate Modern, Globe Theater, Old Bailey, St. Paul's Cathedral, Tower Bridge and Tower of London, all on foot. You can also walk to the the British Museum and the Museum of London. The rooms were small but comfortable enough. Anyway, you don't spend much time in your hotel room when you're in London. There is a small supermarket about a block down the road where you can pick up some groceries rather than spend your money on restaurants.
Address: 120 Central Street, Clerkenwell, London, EC1V 8DS, United Kingdom
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
More Reviews (7)
gilabrand's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- "London, the capital of England"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 9 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 59 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
Photos in LondonSee All Photos (17)
Read real reviews about London Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 80 reviews, 169 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 47 reviews, 98 photos, 8 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haifa Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem District Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (34)
- Tower of London- 523 Reviews, 925 Photos
- Westminster Abbey- 277 Reviews, 486 Photos
- Hyde Park- 188 Reviews, 390 Photos
- Coke Cola London Eye- 353 Reviews, 575 Photos
- British Museum- 316 Reviews, 579 Photos
- St. Pauls Cathedral- 288 Reviews, 563 Photos
- Buckingham Palace- 421 Reviews, 695 Photos
- Trafalgar Square- 277 Reviews, 501 Photos
- Portobello Road and Notting Hill- 107 Reviews, 162 Photos
- Tower Bridge- 309 Reviews, 522 Photos
See All London Things to Do