"Blue Skies in London" London by gilabrand

London Travel Guide: 23,495 reviews and 49,601 photos

Despite all the talk about London fog and drizzle, we had splendid weather, as you can see from the photographs.

**********************************************

We took the Big Bus tour which was really worthwhile. Included was a walking tour that focused on the royals. The guide was the funniest, although his northern accent took some getting used to. On our return from Buckingham palace we saw this procession going down the Mall.

His HIGH-ness, Lord Nelson

When people visit Trafalgar Square, they are so busy dodging pigeons they rarely look up. This is Lord Nelson, standing heroically on top of the column in the middle of the square.

This photograph appeared in the paper in April 2006, when the statue was being cleaned (which happens once in 20 years). I didn't even know there was a figure up there.

• Last visit to London: Jan 2001
  • Intro Updated Oct 31, 2006

Travelogues (1)

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2008 at 3:06 AM

We were greeted by a cold and wet London in Peak summer...no clear blue skies!

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2008 at 11:11 PM

when I visit London sometime I must do this bus....

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Here's another one for your list: brainstorm and brainwave. For the British a brainstorm is roughly the opposite of what we mean by it. Also my little grandchildren have to put up with me saying diaper when their mother says nappy.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2007 at 6:16 AM

Ah yes, separated by a common language! The Oz version is somewhere between: we talk on mobile phones, put petrol in our cars, drive on the freeway and try to avoid trucks.

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 11:52 AM

I'm chuffed to have you peruse my bloody Athens page. Your British vocabulary tips are a real cracker! Cheers!

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Loved the customs page. Every country should have one like that! Thanks and TY for the visit to my England page! Ann

• tvor's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Thanks for visiting my London page. I've never had too much trouble with the difference in language but i love watching Brit telly and movies so i picked a lot up!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 6:41 AM

Excellent linguistic comments. Although there is no ocean separating Flemish and Dutch, French from France and French from Belgium we have terrible language differences. In Amsterdam I am obliged to speak English for the mutual understanding.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 7:58 AM

Even though BritishI'm confused with the 'new English' every time I go home. The influence of street English is creeping everywhere. Words like cool and wicked take some getting used to in their new usage. You'll have to keep upgrading your tips , Gila

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Interesting and observant views on language differences. Though I can obviously relate to Tripack's comments.

gilabrand

“You were born an original; don't die a copy.”

Badges & Stats in London