"Beersheva: A city on the sand" Top 5 Page for this destination Beersheba by gilabrand
Beersheba Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 298 photos
As far as Israeli cities go, Beersheva has gotten a bad rap. It was a major crossroads in biblical times and an important administrative center during the British Mandate. After the establishment of the state in 1948, however, it seemed to lose whatever luster it ever had.
Beersheva has grown to the point where it is now larger in size than Tel Aviv, but it is perceived as a dusty place on the fringes of the desert, ranking slightly above a development town. While up to now there may have been some truth in that, things are clearly changing in Beersheva. It is still a city on the sand, with many places still drab and underdeveloped.
But alongside the colorless concrete tenements, glittering new towers are springing up. The architects are hard at work, designing bizarre new creations, and some of the interesting old buildings are being restored.
It is an odd mix, perhaps, but intriguing.
Walking down the streets of Israeli cities, you will not encounter colossal bronzes of emperors on horseback or towering... more travel advice
In Flanders Fields the poppies grow; between the crosses row on row. Lines of poetry from my school days came back to... more travel advice
gilabrand's Related Pages
Beersheba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "beer sheva my home town"
- "Beersheva: A city on the sand"
- "Beer Sheva, the center of the Negev"
- "Welcome to Be'er-Sheva"
- "Be`er Sheva"
- "Beer Sheva"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beersheba
- Hotels in Beersheba
- Transportation in Beersheba
- Nightlife in Beersheba
- Restaurants in Beersheba
- Shopping in Beersheba
- Warnings and Dangers in Beersheba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beersheba
- 7 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Beersheba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beersheba
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 80 reviews, 169 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 47 reviews, 98 photos, 8 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haifa Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem District Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue