"Beit Shemesh: House of the Rising Sun" Bet Shemesh by gilabrand
Bet Shemesh Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 7 photos
Back in the 1950s, Beit Shemesh was what Israel called a "development town." Now that sounds promising, but development towns were generally dinky places in the middle of nowhere that became a kind of catch-all for refugees and new immigrants. Beit Shemesh was one of them. In those early days of the state, the government sent newcomers to transit camps called "ma'abarot" and then plonked them down in hicktowns like Beit Shemesh.
If you look at the above picture, you will see that Beit Shemesh today is not bad at all, despite the stigma that clung to it for years. And every one of those trees you see, coloring the hills green, was planted by Jewish immigrants ("olim hadashim") from Arab countries who were brought here to clear the rocky fields and build a "House in the Sun."
Beit = House
Shemesh = Sun
gilabrand's Related Pages
Bet Shemesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "All around Beit-Shemesh"
- "Beit Shemesh: House of the Rising Sun"
- "Soreq Stalactite Cave"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bet Shemesh
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Bet Shemesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bet Shemesh
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 80 reviews, 169 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 47 reviews, 98 photos, 8 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haifa Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem District Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Flushing Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue