"Lod: The place where it all begins" Lod by gilabrand

Lod Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 7 photos

Ben-Gurion International Airport

It is a common misconception that Israel's major airport is in Tel Aviv. Actually, it is in Lod, on the outskirts of Tel Aviv. Lod's claim to fame is the new airport, with its towering columns, twinkling lights, marble floors and cascading water fountains. For most people, Israel begins and ends at Lod.

Like many people, though, as I stepped off the plane last week and entered the sleek, airconditioned new Terminal 3, I felt a twinge of nostalgia for the old airport. For the fiery heat and blinding sun that hit you as the plane doors slid open, for the big "Welcome to Israel" sign, for the pinky whiteness of the Jerusalem stone and the lone palm tree off to one side. For the sight of people kneeling and kissing the asphalt, overcome with emotion at setting foot in the Holy Land.

Click here for a tip about the new airport.

We Are The Champions

This month, December 2006, Ben-Gurion Airport ranked first among 40 European airports, and 5th out of 77 airports around the world, in a survey conducted by the Airports Council International. It also placed first in its size category.

The survey consisted of 34 questions. A random sampling of 350 passengers at the departure gate were asked how satisfied they were with the service, infrastructure and facilities. Ben-Gurion received a rating of 3.94 out of 5, followed by Vienna, Munich, Amsterdam, Brussels, Zurich, Copenhagen and Helsinki.

3.94 is not a perfect score, of course, and I'm sure there's room for improvement. But you can't say it's not a good start.

• Last visit to Lod: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Jun 20, 2013

• NYTim's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2009 at 4:54 AM

I have to agree. I wish I smoked and drank spirits -- they were so cheap. Israeli wine was quite expensive though. I bought soccer shirts for very low price for my three boys.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Ok, this airport is like Viva Las Vegas...wow, its beautiful. Lovely page!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Anything made of salt at the airport? I don't remember. :-) Thanks for birthday wishes.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 4:38 AM

high quality tips as usual

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2006 at 12:36 PM

The new terminal is just WONDERFUL. I could not wipe my smile off, so glad the old days are over, now it is surely one of the best airports I have ever been travelling through.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 5:32 AM

I've never dived in my life, but Aqaba was great for some much needed winter sunshine! :-) I preferred Eilat though....even though it was far more touristy!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 11:03 AM

The new airport looks stunning. I'm sure I would enjoy a ride in the shared taxi. Do many Israelis speak English?

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2006 at 11:21 PM

taxi-sharing was also our way to get around Isreal a bit, but not in such elegant vans, but in private taxi-vehicles that seemed to fall apart while driving...

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2005 at 10:42 AM

Very good information. Thank you.

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 12:36 AM

the city of Lod is not so beautiful I must say !

gilabrand

“You were born an original; don't die a copy.”

Badges & Stats in Lod