"Lod: The place where it all begins" Lod by gilabrand
Lod Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 7 photos
Ben-Gurion International Airport
It is a common misconception that Israel's major airport is in Tel Aviv. Actually, it is in Lod, on the outskirts of Tel Aviv. Lod's claim to fame is the new airport, with its towering columns, twinkling lights, marble floors and cascading water fountains. For most people, Israel begins and ends at Lod.
Like many people, though, as I stepped off the plane last week and entered the sleek, airconditioned new Terminal 3, I felt a twinge of nostalgia for the old airport. For the fiery heat and blinding sun that hit you as the plane doors slid open, for the big "Welcome to Israel" sign, for the pinky whiteness of the Jerusalem stone and the lone palm tree off to one side. For the sight of people kneeling and kissing the asphalt, overcome with emotion at setting foot in the Holy Land.
Click here for a tip about the new airport.
This month, December 2006, Ben-Gurion Airport ranked first among 40 European airports, and 5th out of 77 airports around the world, in a survey conducted by the Airports Council International. It also placed first in its size category.
The survey consisted of 34 questions. A random sampling of 350 passengers at the departure gate were asked how satisfied they were with the service, infrastructure and facilities. Ben-Gurion received a rating of 3.94 out of 5, followed by Vienna, Munich, Amsterdam, Brussels, Zurich, Copenhagen and Helsinki.
3.94 is not a perfect score, of course, and I'm sure there's room for improvement. But you can't say it's not a good start.
The length of time you will need to get through security at Ben-Gurion airport depends who you are, where you are coming... more travel advice
gilabrand's Related Pages
Lod Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lod: The place where it all begins"
- "a mixed arab/jewish population"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lod
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Lod?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lod
- Posted in Travel Washington D.C. Forum "Re: Visiting D.C."
- updated a Lod Travel Page "Lod: The place where it all begins"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Check in your luggage, check out the sales"
- Wrote a Review Check in your luggage, check out the sales in Lod Favorites
- Commented on one of ophiro's Lod travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 80 reviews, 169 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 47 reviews, 98 photos, 8 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haifa Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem District Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Flushing Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue