Jerusalem Nightlife Tips by gilabrand Top 5 Page for this destination
Jerusalem Nightlife: 45 reviews and 72 photos
Adina Even-Zohar, jazz singer
Nightlife in Jerusalem is livelier than you think. You just have to know where to find it. Most visitors to the Holy City never get anywhere near Talpiot, not to mention the Talpiot industrial zone, which looks like a sprawling mass of workshops and garages. But hidden among the carpenters and the auto mechanics is Yellow Submarine, a music club that features live performances every night.
Housed in what looks like an old factory is a performance space for up-and-coming musicians, singers and bands of every stripe. The place is nondescript from the outside. I must have seen it a million times and never noticed. But come nightfall, the lights go on, the black tarp that serves as a door opens, and the music begins. At the end of a long entrance hall painted to look like the inside of a submarine (murals of circular windows looking out at sea with some cartoon fish swimming around) you will see a brightly lit bar. Stock up here on draft beer, wine and alcohol (or for people like me, hot chocolate, apple cider, soft drinks, tea and coffee) to sip at your table when the show starts. The club itself is small and very informal (grab a chair and move the tables around as you please).
Tickets are 50-60 shekels a person, but Tuesday nights – jazz night – admission is FREE.
For those who want to mix with the locals, this is about as local as you can get. Not a tourist in sight.
Address: 13 Harekhavim Street
Directions: Talpiot industrial zone, on the street facing the back entrance of Kanyon Hadar mall
Theme: Live Music
They say smells are something you never forget. A certain smell can take you back in time. For me, the fragrance of night-blooming jasmine (cestrum nocturnum) in the streets of Jerusalem on summer nights is one of those unforgettable scents.
Night-blooming jasmine is planted in the gardens in many Jerusalem neighborhoods, especially Rehavia. It is a sprawling, very fast growing climber that needs trimming to look nice, but as evening falls, the small whitish-yellow flowers open up and give off a wonderful perfume.
Stroll through the streets of Jerusalem at night and breathe in the sweet, intoxicating smell. But the truth is, the Bible got there first. The author of the Song of Songs waxed lyrical over this heady scent thousands of years ago:
Come O South Wind!
Blow upon my garden
That its perfume may spread.
(Song of Songs 4:15)
More Reviews (78)
- See All To market, to market
- See All Cheapest but not for everyone
- When darkness falls
- See All Ode to a dead singer?
- See All XMAS in Jerusalem
gilabrand's Related Pages
Jerusalem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jerusalem–the Foundation Stone of three Religions"
- "The Spirit of Jerusalem"
- "Jerusalem: Monotheism's Controversial Capital"
- "Jerusalem - The capital of Israel"
- "The most special city in the world"
- "Martin_S.'s Jerusalem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jerusalem
- Hotels in Jerusalem
- Transportation in Jerusalem
- Nightlife in Jerusalem
- Restaurants in Jerusalem
- Shopping in Jerusalem
- Warnings and Dangers in Jerusalem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jerusalem
- 80 Reviews
- 160 Photos
- 134 Forum posts
- 203 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Jerusalem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jerusalem
Photos in JerusalemSee All Photos (160)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 80 reviews, 169 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 47 reviews, 98 photos, 8 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haifa Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem District Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Flushing Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (33)
- Wailing Wall - Western Wall- 62 Reviews, 134 Photos
- Mount of Olives- 52 Reviews, 134 Photos
- Via Dolorosa- 55 Reviews, 186 Photos
- The Church of the Holy Sepulchre- 78 Reviews, 239 Photos
- Garden of Gethsemane- 23 Reviews, 58 Photos
- Temple Mount- 60 Reviews, 118 Photos
- The Old City Gates- 47 Reviews, 107 Photos
- Garden Tomb- 7 Reviews, 12 Photos
- The Citadel - Tower of David- 29 Reviews, 58 Photos
- Dormition Abbey- 11 Reviews, 30 Photos
See All Jerusalem Things to Do