"The Spirit of Jerusalem" Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem by gilabrand
Jerusalem Travel Guide: 1,843 reviews and 5,506 photos
The pull of Jerusalem is hard to describe. There is something magical about this city. You either love it or you hate it - and if you hate it, chances are you haven't allowed yourself to get to know it.
Here is a guide - far from comprehensive - that may open your eyes to sights, sounds and smells that you might overlook in the mad rush that is so often typical of Holy Land tours.
A visit to Jerusalem (and Israel as a whole) is bound to coincide with the some holiday or festival, considering how many there are in the course of the year. In addition, Shabbat - the Jewish Sabbath - comes around every week.
So if you're planning a trip to Jerusalem, have a peek at my tips (the holiday rundown may be particularly useful). Hopefully, they will cue you in on some of the lesser known aspects of a city that is mind-boggling in its contrasts and unlike any place you've ever seen, a city that has been fought over and built up, layer after layer, for thousands of years.
May 16, 2007
Today is Jerusalem Day and the city is marking the 40th anniversary of its reunification. Much has yet to be done for this city to be truly unified, and in truth, that dream seems to be getting further and further away. Instead of rejoicing, the atmosphere this year is pervaded by a sense of melancholy.
The street I live on in the center of Jerusalem never ceases to amaze me. Far be it from me to knock those who live on a quiet, tree-lined cul-de-sac, but if you want action, this is the place to be. Just down the road is the Israel Museum, the Bible Lands Museum, the Science Museum, and the University Stadium. Continue up the road, and you get to the Knesset (Israeli Parliament) and the Israeli Supreme Court. My house overlooks the Botanical Gardens and at night, it sounds like I live in the middle of a zoo. The frogs croak, the crickets chirp, the ducks quack, the geese honk, the parrots screech, the birds tweet, and something that sounds like a coyote makes whooping noises. Every morning, the prime minister's motorcade goes by my front door, preceded by police cars blaring warnings over their loudspeakers for people to move out of the way. The highways leading to two major hospitals are close by, and the wail of ambulances never stops. Life is not boring.
Mahaneh Yehuda, Jerusalem’s outdoor market just off of Jaffa Road, is a wild conglomeration of smells, colors and noise.... more travel advice
When families plan a vacation with their children, they don’t normally think of Jerusalem. It is perceived as a serious... more travel advice
- See All Ode to a dead singer?
- See All We all live in a Yellow Submarine
- See All XMAS in Jerusalem
- See All Paper Poppies on Mount Scopus
gilabrand's Related Pages
Jerusalem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jerusalem–the Foundation Stone of three Religions"
- "The Spirit of Jerusalem"
- "Jerusalem: Monotheism's Controversial Capital"
- "The most special city in the world"
- "Martin_S.'s Jerusalem"
- "4 days in a holy city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jerusalem
- Hotels in Jerusalem
- Transportation in Jerusalem
- Nightlife in Jerusalem
- Restaurants in Jerusalem
- Shopping in Jerusalem
- Warnings and Dangers in Jerusalem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jerusalem
- 80 Reviews
- 160 Photos
- 156 Forum posts
- 203 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Jerusalem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jerusalem
Photos in JerusalemSee All Photos (160)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 80 reviews, 169 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 47 reviews, 98 photos, 8 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haifa Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem District Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue