"The Spirit of Jerusalem" Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem by gilabrand

Jerusalem Travel Guide: 1,882 reviews and 5,396 photos

The pull of Jerusalem is hard to describe. There is something magical about this city. You either love it or you hate it - and if you hate it, chances are you haven't allowed yourself to get to know it.

Here is a guide - far from comprehensive - that may open your eyes to sights, sounds and smells that you might overlook in the mad rush that is so often typical of Holy Land tours.

A visit to Jerusalem (and Israel as a whole) is bound to coincide with the some holiday or festival, considering how many there are in the course of the year. In addition, Shabbat - the Jewish Sabbath - comes around every week.

So if you're planning a trip to Jerusalem, have a peek at my tips (the holiday rundown may be particularly useful). Hopefully, they will cue you in on some of the lesser known aspects of a city that is mind-boggling in its contrasts and unlike any place you've ever seen, a city that has been fought over and built up, layer after layer, for thousands of years.

Melancholy Musings

May 16, 2007
Today is Jerusalem Day and the city is marking the 40th anniversary of its reunification. Much has yet to be done for this city to be truly unified, and in truth, that dream seems to be getting further and further away. Instead of rejoicing, the atmosphere this year is pervaded by a sense of melancholy.

Reflections on My Street in Jerusalem

The street I live on in the center of Jerusalem never ceases to amaze me. Far be it from me to knock those who live on a quiet, tree-lined cul-de-sac, but if you want action, this is the place to be. Just down the road is the Israel Museum, the Bible Lands Museum, the Science Museum, and the University Stadium. Continue up the road, and you get to the Knesset (Israeli Parliament) and the Israeli Supreme Court. My house overlooks the Botanical Gardens and at night, it sounds like I live in the middle of a zoo. The frogs croak, the crickets chirp, the ducks quack, the geese honk, the parrots screech, the birds tweet, and something that sounds like a coyote makes whooping noises. Every morning, the prime minister's motorcade goes by my front door, preceded by police cars blaring warnings over their loudspeakers for people to move out of the way. The highways leading to two major hospitals are close by, and the wail of ambulances never stops. Life is not boring.

• Intro Updated Sep 7, 2010

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2013 at 2:46 AM

excellent and so insightful page...wish I could visit Israel again soon!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2013 at 2:46 AM

excellent and so insightful page...wish I could visit Israel again soon!

• katalin's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Beautiful pictures, greetings from Hungary!

• white_smallstar's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Thanks a lot Gila for your superb pages about Jerusalem. It is clear that you love your city and I am very excited as my trip there will start in 3 days :))))) Have a good day and thanks again for this virtual trip in advance. *Nico*

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2011 at 5:18 AM

Hi Gila - great page and photos!! I have been wanting to go to Jerusalem for so long. I think I need to make it happen soon. You've inspired me. Thanks for sharing.

• paolodecastro's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2011 at 12:44 AM

HI Gila o love your Jerusalem page...it keeps me wanting more and more to visit Jerusalem.........i wish GOD will give me the oppotunity...:) greetings frm the sunny PHilippines

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2011 at 2:48 AM

What an extraordinary page! Thank you so much for all the information! Israel is my dad's favourite country and I hope to go there with him in a couple of years :-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Shalom, Gila! ~ Thanks for your amazing page! That would be nice to visit the Holy Land...

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Well done on your Barney nomination! You truly deserve it!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Thanks for stopping by my Boston pages. Someday I'd love to visit Jerusalem ...for now I can enjoy your pages!!

gilabrand Lives Here!

gilabrand

“You were born an original; don't die a copy.”

Badges & Stats in Jerusalem

Have you been to Jerusalem?

Latest Activity in Jerusalem