"Behind every successful woman is herself" gilabrand's Profile

B-DAY In DUBROVNIK
June 2013: Six days in Dubrovnik (with forays into Bosnia and Montenegro) was my birthday present this year. Thank you, VTers, for all the beautiful wishes that popped up when I opened my laptop in this red-roofed, blue-bayed, sun and sweat-drenched Croatian city on June 17!

SUMMIT IN AMMAN

January 2013: The new year started off with what turned out to be a mini-peace summit in Amman, Jordan. Fantasy, perhaps, but I can see the Wikipedia workshop I took part in, together with Wikipedians from all over the Arab world, as a model for conflict resolution that could be implemented on a wider scale.

WIKI-WASHINGTON
July 2102: Spent a week in DC attending the Wikimania conference at George Washington University. Found Washington as monumental and clean as ever. Meeting VTer Zanzooni added a whole new dimension, as we zipped around police cars parked in the middle of the road (while police women manicured their nails or took care of other important business not openly apparent to the human eye) and visited Old Town Alexandria and Maryland Harbor.

OFF TO TORONTO - GOING, GOING, GONE

May 2011: My bags are packed and ready to go. This time the route is Toronto-New York! Duration: 10 days, to see my mom and attend a family party.
June update: Home again, just in time to see my apricot tree bear its first two fruits and get a heap of birthday wishes from all my VT friends. A collective THANKS to you all.

A ROOTS TRIP TO POLAND
September 2010 update: Back from a 6-day trip to Poland to retrace the route of my in-laws, who boarded the last train out on September 1, 1939.
Thank you, VTer Evanna, for opening our eyes to the wonders of Warsaw.

NEW YORK, HERE I COME
End of January update: I'm home again, after making the rounds of family homes (and 4 different beds): from Larchmont to Long Island to Greenwich Village and back.

January 2010: From tonight, I'm on the road again. I'm heading for New York, for a happy family event this time! Judging by all the news reports, I'd better wear nice underwear (for the body scanners)..LOL

TORONTO TIME

November 2009 update: It was indeed a sad trip that ended in loss. I was glad I could be there for my mother. But she is one tough cookie and slowly getting back on her feet.

June 2009: I loved reading all the birthday messages. If I had time, I would answer you all individually, but my flight to Toronto is close at hand. Unfortunately, this 2-week trip is not for fun, but to help my mother through a difficult time.

ROAMING!
Amazingly, I am off again, this time for a 4-day whiz around ROME! See you all next week!
December 19, 2008: Back to the grind after a fabulous (albeit rainy) visit to the over-the-top city of piazzas, palazzos and pizzas.

THE GILA SHUTTLE

Leaving tonight, October 23, 2008, for an 11-day mad dash from Tel Aviv to New York to Rhode Island to Boston to Athens and back again. For the moment, toodle-oo!
Nov. 4: Home again. Wow, what a trip, and thank you, thank you, thank you VTers: Lionreb for helping us discover Rhode Island and Janetanne for that splendid introduction to Athens!

ISRAEL WORLDMEET , SEPTEMBER 2008

JULY2 (Louise) , EKATERINBURG (Katherine), ANGIEBABE (Angela), A2LOPES (Antonio), MACADONIANUK (Valentina) & husband + adorable daughter, FRUITLOVER (Avi) - I LOVED HOSTING YOU ALL.

Now I know for a fact that VTers are not just cyberpeople. THEY ARE FOR REAL.

Thank you all for broadening my world - without even leaving my house!
********************************************************

I never thought of myself as a traveler until someone on this site looked at my travel map and said so. Well, how do you like that? Now that I think about it, maybe I am.

I started out in Gloversville, New York - yes, the place where they make gloves - where I was born. From there, I spent a short time in Rego Park, Queens before moving to Brooklyn, New York and then Flushing, Queens. In high school, I spent a year in Israel and decided that was the place for me. At the age of 18, I headed for Jerusalem and that's where I've been ever since - with forays into the big, wide world every so often.

In the course of visiting my family, which is rather large and spread out, I have been to Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Toronto. And then, of course, there have been some fun trips to places like Orlando, Shenandoah Valley, Washington DC, Sinai, Paris, Venice, Rome, Florence, London, Prague, Barcelona and Istanbul.

Oh my gosh, look at the list. I am a traveler. And now that my four children are seriously on the way to growing up, I'm getting the itch for more.

Birth of a Traveler

"Those feet were made for walkin,'
And that's just what they'll do..."

See those little footprints? They're mine. Bet you never saw a birth certificate like that! I think they only issued them at the Gloversville hospital where I was born. So putting together all the pieces of the jigsaw, I guess I was just cut out to be a traveler...

Not only herself

Now, I'm sure you noticed my motto up there with the emphasis on "herself." The following pages are not, by any stretch of the imagination, a complete travel guide to this or that location. What I am doing is writing about things that touched ME in some way. So, these are my thoughts and my take on the places I have passed through in my life.

Helping me illustrate my thoughts are photographs. Some are my own work, but some of the best ones are taken by my brother Eliel, who is great at character portraits, and two of my boys, Aron and Hanan, who are talented at capturing landscapes and fleeting moments in time.

I paint, therefore I am...

Between the idea

And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the shadow.

(from T.S. Eliot, "The Hollow Men")

"REMEMBER TO BUILD YOUR LIFE
AS IF IT WERE A PIECE OF
ART"

( A. J. Heschel)

To read one of my short stories, have a look at my Great Barrington page.

(See more paintings on my Zichron Yaakov and Beersheva pages)

A New Career: Mother-in-Law

On November 10, 2005, we welcomed Marcel into our family. Marcel and my oldest son, Aron, were married on a terrace overlooking the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem.

On October 15, 2013, we welcomed another daughter-in-law, Maya, into our family. Maya and my No. 3 son, Hanan, were married in a gorgeous tropical garden at Kibbutz Hulda, Israel.

iAnother New Career: Grandma

As of today, August 8, 2010, I am a GRANDMA!
My grandson, Idan, is now THREE YEARS OLD. A doll, of course...

MAY 2007 - My Latest Venture into the Wild Blue Yonder:

A 4-day whirl around Rhodes has left my head whirling. I have lots to say about this little island. For starters, masses of people go to Rhodes to lie on a beach chair or drink mind-boggling quantities of beer served in a huge glass boot. I am not one of them.

• Intro Updated Oct 24, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
gilabrand's Profile Photo

gilabrand

“You were born an original; don't die a copy.”

Real Name