"A Story On Jacksonville" Top 5 Page for this destination Jacksonville by yallpeoples

Jacksonville Travel Guide: 418 reviews and 914 photos

My Experience In Jacksonville

I was here for 3 months, but I felt as though I lived here. That is how condensed my experience being here was. Jacksonville was more of an experience than a tourist destination. Having said that, in order to enjoy the place, you have to live it because otherwise, I can think of other cities that are more fun and not so spread out. I learned a lot about myself during my 3 months here. That is a positive thing in itself. I met some lifelong friends and lived on the edge. No, not that way, but I dared to be me and take chances. Jville ain't Miami where you come and get something out of it. You have to put in of yourself in order to get something out of it.

When I came to Jax a few years back, I experienced culture shock because I was living in Seattle at the time. People were friendly, but I did get the sense that there were a lot of holy rollers around because I encountered so many people who prayed over me. I felt like I was in a movie because it all felt so surreal. Being the polite NW girl that I typically am, I didn't want to tell these holy rollers to take their prayers elsewhere. I felt uncomfortable, but in the end I look at it as an experience. And maybe their prayers gave me a safe stay in the city. You know what they say about well wishers spreading good vibes to you.

Aside from that, I noticed that Jax is the most financially progressive of all the Floridian cities because there is more work here and crime isn't as bad as other cities in Florida. The pay is a little better too. I think it is a decent working city and I call it a good 'start up' city. If you came to Jax 10 years from now, these opportunities would no longer be available and Jacksonville will become like all the other Floridian cities. I don't know if I should be giving out all of this information but I like to help out other people.

I felt creative during my stay here. Some places make you feel creative. Don't know why.

Picture courtesy of Amanteve Photography, copyright

• Pros:Nicest People In Florida, Cheap, Jobs, Calm Beaches
  • Cons:Slow Pace, People Are 10 Years Behind At Times, Everything Is Spread Out and Far
  • In a nutshell:Jacksonville has to be experienced and as opposed to visited.
  • Last visit to Jacksonville: Apr 2001
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2004

yallpeoples

“Veni, vidi, vici- I came, I saw, I conquered- Ceasar”

Badges & Stats in Jacksonville

Have you been to Jacksonville?

Latest Activity in Jacksonville