"Shanghai Scenery" Shanghai by funky_pigeon
Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,073 reviews and 8,108 photos
We left Zhuhai by coach and traveled for 2 and half hours to Guangzhou, the capital of the province, to catch the train from the eastern train terminal to get to Shanghai. The train station was massive and its like going through at an airport with your bag being X-rayed and then ID being checked before boarding the train.
The train was really nice - the journey took about 23 hours - so we travelled in the hard sleeper carriage, this consists of 3 tier bunks and 6 people to a compartment, there is AC and a kitchen with hot water so you can make instant pot noodles and such like, although they do make food. You even get a duvet and pillow which was really nice and clean.
Once we arrived in Shanghai, we were met by a friend of Joannas and he had arranged accomadation for us really cheap which was wicked, and he got us on the bus to the hotel. The hotel was really good, and to a pretty high standard, yet it was a good price for the room. Once settled in the hotel we chilled out - and watched the Shanghai F1 on TV.
The following day we walked into town and took a stroll around the Bund, this area is the old part of Shanghai by the river and you get good views across to the Pudong region. You can walk along Nanjing Rd, which is the main shopping area and has several malls, with practically everything you could imagine and as its pedestrianised its pretty relaxing to go down there and people watch.
We wandered around the museum which was to the south of Peoples Square, and then sat and watched the kite flying for a while before heading back up to the hotel again. We also went on the Tourist Train which takes you under the river for a trancy experience, with flashing lights and blow up people, and whilst we were on the other side we went up the Jinmao tower to the Grand Hyatt on the 54th floor to get the vioews across the town, it was quite hazy though.
Other places we visited was the Buddhist temple Yufo Si which was to the west of the shanghai train station - fairly touristy and lots of tour groups so you can't really contemplate in private there, but the temple was pretty well kept and you can see a jade buddha there. Then we went to the Yu Gardens, which was quite expensive but they are meant to be a good example of Ming gardens. We thought that the ponds could do with a good clean!! again very touristy and just felt a little too concretey.
Overall we really enjoyed Shanghai and met some friendly people. The bus routes were fairly simple and where we stayed wasn't that far out of town so you could walk around - although it took ages.
- Pros:lots to see, great shopping, good transport links
- Cons:lots of people, large town
- In a nutshell:Worth a good couple of days
funky_pigeon's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos, 2 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 11 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambodia Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maldives Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Goa Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Northern Thailand Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Shanghai hotel reviews
- Shanghai Marriott Hotel Changfeng Park
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Renaissance Shanghai Pudong
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Jin Jiang Jin Sha Hotel Shanghai
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 14, 2012
- Motel 168 (Shanghai Jingling Road)
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Ruijin Hotel Shanghai
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- The Bund Hotel Shanghai
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Galaxy Hotel Shanghai
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013
- Bodi Boutique Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- Jinhui Hotel Shanghai
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Astor House Hotel
- 406 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Jinjiang Inn (Tongji University)
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 14, 2013
- InterContinental Shanghai Puxi
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Pacific Hotel Shanghai
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hyatt on the Bund
- 531 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- 24K International Hotel Weihai Road Shanghai
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 17, 2013