"Amsterdam - I love it!" Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam by Mariajoy

Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,236 reviews and 21,450 photos

PetraE and I have taken several breaks in Amsterdam between 2002 and 2007 because we love it so much. This place is fun and lively and colourful and there is so much going on and so many interesting "must see" places and I have included lots of them here.

We revisited Amsterdam recently and had 4 days there, taking in the Artis Zoo, Dutch Resistance Museum, The Melkweg (to see Athlete) and a mini VT meeting in the Vondelpark. We also re-visited a great little Irish pub on the Amstel, Mulligans, where there is always live irish music - a great night out.

Amsterdam is of course well known for it's canals and bridges, explore on foot (just look out for trams and bikes!!) or take a canal boat tour - there's plenty of places to buy tickets and then spend an hour or so seeing the sights at a leisurely pace!

• Pros:A fun city with friendly people,
  • Cons:Those STAIRS!!
  • In a nutshell:It HAS to be seen!!
  • Last visit to Amsterdam: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated May 14, 2007

• Mar 14, 2011 at 5:16 AM

Bravo. I hate zoo's they depress me and make me ashamed of my thumbs.... =(

• sunfinder's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2010 at 6:35 AM

I fell in love with this place but they closed it down :( bastards

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2008 at 3:50 AM

Hello A/Dam no 2 we have the same amount of tips I have a few less pics :-)

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2008 at 2:40 AM

Maria, I am in the process of regrouping all A'dam restaurants by name (VT-staff request). I noticed an "s" too many at your Porto Carrara tip. PJ

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2008 at 6:23 PM

What a fantastic page Maria!! And I saved a few of your tips for when we go....hopefully next year :o) BOOM Chicago looks like a good place for a vt meet ;o) Cheers, Ann.

• leecouk12324's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2007 at 6:40 PM

On "Canalboats" and "gezzelig". Oh - enig!

• Oct 19, 2007 at 12:42 AM

Mariajoy you probably couldn't be more right!!every city has a zoo so what's the point to waste money to see animals that you have already seen???just because it is in a different city,or country,or continent????

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 8:12 AM

WHen I was 21 a psychologist described my as a Bohemian conservative..What a combo eh?

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2007 at 10:49 AM

That little bit of "Chinese wisdom" on your scroll of paper...how funny is that?! I'm still trying to figure it out, too!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 8:00 PM

I'm heading to A'dam in March for a holiday, so I'm just sussing out the place now. It sounds as if I need to make sure I go to NEMO on one of the days that it's TOTALLY OPEN!

Mariajoy Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Amsterdam

Have you been to Amsterdam?

Latest Activity in Amsterdam