"HuntenPop Festival - Doetinchem" Doetinchem by Mariajoy

Doetinchem Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 11 photos

2 Britbabes at large in the Gelderland

Last week Petra says to me "how about a trip to see Apoplexia in the Netherlands"? "ok" I said... not really interested but ..hey... festivals are always fun and a weekend trip with P is always good for the giggles ... so we set off on Friday night for Brussels by Eurostar from Waterloo.

This trip... let me tell you about this trip. We got to Bruxelles some time on Friday night and stayed at the Ibis hotel, just across the road from the Garde du midi - or zuid or centraal - god knows.. why are there so many? Surely a central station means its the central station?
Doesn't matter, we managed to leave by the wrong exit anyway.

In the hotel P breaks the news that it will take several changes of train, a bus trip and probably a long walk in the country to find this festival... oooookkkkkkaaaaayyy... I'm still up for it... I mean how big is the Netherlands anyway?? can't be THAT far can it?? Oh and she said if I call Apocaplytica "Alopecia" one more time I can get the next train home. These guys are Finnish... they are classically trained cellists... they are HUGE in Finland..they play heavy metal on their cellos and apparently are (loud booming voice from above)... ROCK GODS!!

Huntenpop festival website is:
HuntenPopFestival

There, now hopefully Pieter Jan will see I have done my homework!!!

So this is why......

we travelled all the way to this little out of the way town (village!) called Varsselder, in the middle of nowhere in the Netherlands (almost in Germany!!!)

This is Apocalyptica... if they are not Rock Gods in the rest of the world soon, they should be... and if they are appearing anywhere near you.... go and see them!!!! They are ..... well.... I can't say it here... let's just say... they are freakin' fantastic!!!!! And if I had to travel that distance to see them again.... I would...

• Pros:Apocalyptica
  • Cons:it was bloody hot in that tent!
  • In a nutshell:R I P Grieg!!!
  • Last visit to Doetinchem: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2008 at 2:35 PM

What did you say the name of that band was? Apoplexica? Anatomica? Funny tips in any case! Of course you should have come by bicycle like all those Dutch folks.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2007 at 10:06 AM

What a tricky bus stop and what tricky language!

• Mar 5, 2007 at 11:57 PM

This was a highly entertaining page. In regards to your "They all speak English" tip, I had a similar experience with a Dutch public servant. The difference being I was TWI (Traveling While Intoxicated) & she had no idea what I was trying say.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2006 at 5:58 PM

Haha, I can't stop laughing... thanks for the warnings! 865 kms in the Netherlands and no windmill? Even 1? They really should give your money back!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2005 at 2:27 AM

I see I'm not the only Aussie who loves your SoH my lovely friend Maria. Boy you girls have some fun adventures. You are so lucky to have each other as friends. Cheers mate!

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2005 at 1:33 AM

Love music festivals used to go to many in SA & ran a music club you should join me to see live music up in London some time. Must check out Petra's pages now

• catnl's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2004 at 3:01 AM

The place u mentioned could be Gooi for the Huntenpopfestival, near Varsseveld, nice festival:-)

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2004 at 11:48 PM

I think you're right here, they only wanna sit and have teir Heineken, LOL fun stuff this page

• Alphons's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2004 at 9:40 AM

Nice page and pics, but why will you not pay for Petra her bus trip??????? Greetings Alphons...

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2004 at 10:00 AM

You have a great way of telling a tale really enjoyed reading about your adventure

Badges & Stats in Doetinchem

Have you been to Doetinchem?

Latest Activity in Doetinchem