"Potsdam, More than Princes, Parks and Palaces" Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam by Mariajoy

Potsdam Travel Guide: 388 reviews and 1,263 photos

Having a family member who has just moved here is one of those little advantages in life that occur once in while . Had it not been for that, I would probably never have seen this amazing, historic city just outside Berlin.

Potsdam IS full of castles, parklands, and princes of the past, and since reunification, many buildings are still undergoing renovation and restoration. But while all this is going on there is so much to see and do - Theatres, museums, fabulous shops and restaurants and the innumerable lakes offer great recreational opportunities for boat hire and cruises etc.

I am probably the only visitor to Potsdam who didn't visit Sansoucci - so I shall just have to return - and I will..... soon!

Sunset on Am Tiefen See

Sunset over the Havel

• Pros:A truly beautiful city with friendly people
  • Cons:I can't think of any!
  • Last visit to Potsdam: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2007

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Nice page

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2008 at 2:10 AM

Me again, checking back for new tips and updates. Like Holger, I was very impressed by your tip on the Wannsee Conference House. My older son has just moved to Berlin, so I expect I will be seeing more of Berlin and Potsdam and vicinity sometime soon.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Interesting and detailed updates here. Especially the Wannsee Conference House info is very well written.

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Did you know they even had "gas vans" -- loaded with people who were made to breathe the toxic exhaust gases... at the destination everybody was dead. Learnt that at Yad Vashem. Didn't know this horrible detail before :((

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Hi Maria. Nice photos & tips. I had heard that Potsdam has a lot more to offer than Sanssouci.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Going to Berlin and Potsdam for a week on November 29th so this page was really interesting to me. Loved the Dutch Quarter photos and I will be very sure to stand AT the bus stop. Packed-with-information page and lovely photos :))

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Great page about a city I had no knowledge of at all (eg I didn't know there was another Brandenburg Gate!) The Marble Palace sounds lovely, despite the over-vigilant museum attendants. Love the shots of the theatre too!

• Airpunk's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2007 at 11:38 AM

I thought that the Marmorpalais story was a good example for stereotypical german attitude, but the bus story is just great. Anyway, again an excellent page!

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2007 at 5:43 AM

Wow! I had no idea Potsdam had so many OTHER sights! Thanks. That bus thing sounds typically Swedish too I'm afraid...

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Spies... hmmm... I didn't know about that bridge. Now I must go to Potsdam! Don't be beastly to the Germans. The museum attendants are just following orders... And stopping for people who aren't at the bus stop would just not be efficient ;).

Badges & Stats in Potsdam

Have you been to Potsdam?

Latest Activity in Potsdam