"Quedlinburg -UNESCO World Heritage Site Since 1994" Quedlinburg by Mariajoy

Quedlinburg Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 113 photos

I visited this quaintest of quaint German towns during my train travels of East Germany. With over 1,600 half timbered houses and a castle, this little town is the epitome of a German picture postcard - but strangely, I wasn't compelled to buy any while I was here.

This Medieval town is reputed to be the Oldest German town with the smallest house in Germany (though I didn't see it, they all looked pretty small!). The first German King, Duke Henry the Fowler was crowned here in 919AD It was made a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994.

For more fascinating info check this website:

Quedlinburg

• In a nutshell:A must see if you are in the area
  • Last visit to Quedlinburg: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 15, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM

You did a very nice job of showing the wonderful buildings and town sites. WE go to Dresden in May 2011, but feel this may be too far for our ventures. Thanks for the tour.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2007 at 11:32 AM

a nice page about a place I hope to see soon ! a lot of great architecture to be seen here !

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 2:05 AM

That's my favorite town in the Harz Mountains - great architecture, stunning history but absolutely no nightlife! -- Very helpful tip on parking - I experienced the same - there is a no-parking zone sign when entering the town

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 6:16 AM

I was delighted to read this page because when I visited Q a few years ago, I forgot my camera. As it was Sat afternoon and al the shops closed, I couldn't even buy a postcard. Your photos are really beautiful :)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 2:36 PM

I've never heard that strange name but now I have to find it on the map to visit it in future, thanks for sharing. Well, very elegant letter-ticket from local police, hopefully not very expensive.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 10:53 AM

I'd love to go to this place. I once asked an old lady on an ICE train some years back about this city as she was reading a bocklet about it.

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 3:00 PM

This was one of the places in Saxony-Anhalt that I really wanted to visit, but it is such a pain to get to. I settled for Naumberg instead. Love the classic German pleasantries, which they always wrap around unpleasant requests... :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 11:01 PM

This town looks so beautiful ! Shame on me, I never heard of it, and only yesterday in a TV program (50 most favourite places in Germany). Good to see that you have been there and enjoyed it :-) It's on my list also now

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2006 at 8:23 AM

What an utterly gorgeous little place!!!!!!! Jen x

• mariev's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2006 at 9:10 AM

Thanks Maria for the birthday wishes ! They were appreciated (much much more than a Quedlinburger parking ticket would have been - even so nicely written) :-)))))))))))

Badges & Stats in Quedlinburg

Have you been to Quedlinburg?

Latest Activity in Quedlinburg